Active Travel Officer
Grade 5-7 (£22,183 - £32,910) – Starting salary to be determined based on experience and ability
This is a superb opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated professional to join the dynamic Highways and Transportation Service at Wokingham Borough Council.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an Active Travel Officer who will sit within the My Journey Wokingham Team. The role will focus primarily on working with businesses in the borough. Key responsibilities for the roles include:
- To work closely with businesses in the borough, recruiting active travel champions to promote sustainable travel for their staff.
- To assess, develop and utilise local and national campaigns and initiatives to increase modal shift in the business community and across Wokingham as a whole.
- To take the lead in planning, organising and delivering a programme of activities which encourage people to travel more sustainably, this may include led rides, led walks, cycle maintenance, advice sessions, training sessions, presentations /assemblies, and travel awareness campaigns for example.
- To work closely with other teams in the Councils to identify synergies between objectives and the most efficiency use of resources.
- To contribute to the delivery of a Council wide coordinated approach to tackling climate change, air quality and health and well-being objectives through the benefits of travel.
- To raise awareness of the My Journey brand and campaigns, local workplace / school activities and the wider benefits of sustainable travel on climate change, air quality and health and well-being through our social media platforms.
- To provide regular news stories and case studies for the My Journey website and wider media release.
- To support the collection of monitoring data related to schools/workplaces ensuring activities being delivered meet the project objectives and targets.
- To be able to manage workloads, prioritise work and evaluate the effectiveness of individual projects in order to amend or stop work where results are not being achieved.
- To support the My Journey Team in day to day activities/training, including events in the wider community and possibly including weekend and evening work (e.g. assisting in events)
- To assist the Council in delivering the relevant objectives of the Local Transport Plan and developing new objectives and targets.
To be successful in the role, you’ll need to be well-versed in cycling and walking and behaviour change including knowledge of climate change matters, congestion, air quality and health and well-being.
You will be supported by the experienced My Journey Team though will be required to work alone or lead many projects with little involvement from others; experience in self-motivation and workload/time management skills are highly desirable.
Wokingham is situated in the heart of the thriving Thames Valley and is consistently voted both the healthiest place to live and one of the best places to live in the UK. This is an exciting time to join as the council is delivering substantial infrastructure projects and new housing as well as town centre regeneration.
Wokingham Borough Council offers a range of employee benefits including generous annual leave, flexible working opportunities and an excellent pension. We’re committed to making you feel empowered in your work, whether that’s through approachable and engaged management, or extra training to enhance your expertise. This is combined with great development opportunities, meaning you’ll feel supported and encouraged at every stage of your career.
Ours is a high support, high challenge work environment, where people can fulfil their full potential.
- Closing date: 11pm, 16 January 2022
- Interview date: w/b 24 January 2022
- For an informal discussion, please contact: Rob Curtis, Transport Planning Team Manager email@example.com
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment. Wokingham is an equal opportunities employer.