Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
Hillingdon's Apprenticeship Scheme is an ideal way to begin a career in the horticultural and park management industry. Working in a Borough with more than 60 Green Flags and Winners of London in Bloom and Britain in Bloom.
As a horticultural apprentice, you'll work and learn in one of London's greenest Borough's and get paid while you complete your education. When you finish the course, you'll be qualified as a skilled gardener and you'll have gained a vast amount of experience from working in the London Borough of Hillingdon.
As a Hillingdon apprentice your duties will typically include:
- Shrub bed maintenance
- Planting bedding, shrubs and trees
- Grass cutting
- Bedding maintenance
- General gardening
- Sports marking
- Litter picking
- Spraying of chemicals - subject to qualification
- Driving - subject to qualification and authorisation
You will be given training in the theory and practice of developing and maintaining high quality green spaces,
We will train you in theoretical and practical horticulture and be trained to operate a range of machinery.
Classroom learning at Capel Manor College and distant learning will be combined with practical experience that will utilise the unique and unrivalled environments across the London Borough of Hillingdon.
At the end of the apprenticeship, you will be ideally placed to continue your career in the horticultural industry either in a 'hands-on' role or by progressing to a management or supervisory post.
The apprenticeship scheme will be for a fixed 2 year pear period.
We are looking for people with a passion for gardening, who are keen to pursue a career in horticulture. You should enjoy working outdoors, in all weathers, and be prepared for early starts. A positive attitude, flexible approach with an appetite for learning and good communication skills will all help you to get the most from the Apprenticeship.
You will be working in the multi award winning borough and one of the greenest Boroughs in London.
At least 2 GCSEs grades, preferably in English and Maths are desirable.
Applications are welcomed from all backgrounds.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.