Reading Borough Council’s Parks Team is responsible for the grounds maintenance of Reading’s parks and gardens, cemeteries, schools, Council housing properties, and other open spaces. We currently have opportunities for a groundsperson/gravedigger to join the busy grounds team at Henley Road Crematorium and Cemetery, undertaking general grounds maintenance and other cemetery work in this high-profile site to a standard of excellence.
About the role
You will be a member of the team responsible for the wide range of duties associated with cremation, cremulation, grave digging, grounds maintenance, horticulture and memorial safety activity.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Gardening and general grounds maintenance
- Grave digging
- Cremation and cremulation
- Memorial safety
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
- You will be able to demonstrate experience and a sound knowledge of grounds maintenance operations
- You will hold the relevant certificates to operate a wide range of estate maintenance plant and equipment
- You will have a Cremator Operator Technician qualification
- Preferably you should have a grounds maintenance qualification to NVQ Level 3
- You will have experience in managing a public garden or, preferably, a cemetery
- Knowledge of health & safety relating to the post is essential
- You will be responsible for some basic administration within your daily work
- You should be self-motivated, courteous with customers, a good team worker, physically fit, and willing to work outside in all weather condition
- You must hold a current clean full British driving licence
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 6th December 2021
Interview Date: week commencing 9th December 2021
Interview Process: 40-minute in-person interview and a practical test; please bring PPE
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success