The Parks Team is currently looking for skilled and experienced arborists to join our growing team responsible for the maintenance of trees on public land in Reading and a growing portfolio of commercial contracts.
About the role
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in climbing and working from a rope and harness in all weather conditions. The role also requires a wide range of experience in the operation and maintenance of all types of tree maintenance equipment, especially chainsaws and chippers. A sound knowledge of health & safety relating to tree work is essential. Senior arborists must have experience in managing teams undertaking a range of different tree work tasks, and in working with clients and contractors. You will be able to identify and take appropriate action to deal with defects in trees, carry out aerial inspections and provide written reports.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Working as part of a team that is responsible for the maintenance of Reading Borough Council’s trees safely and to a high standard
- Working with internal and external customers to deliver commercial tree work, providing a high standard of customer care
Senior arborists will also:
- Organise tree work and supervise the day-to-day operations of staff, using effectively the resources available
- Carry out and record formal inspections of trees on Highways and Parks land, and assess commercial work for quotation
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You should be self-motivated, courteous to customers and a good team worker. You should be trained to Level 2 in Arboriculture and hold NPTC Certificates of Competence in chainsaw use, felling and pruning, and use of mobile elevated working platforms. You should have a full British driver’s licence and be licensed to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and to tow.
- NPTC Level 2 Certificates of Competence in Chainsaws and Related Operations
- NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence to Climb Trees and Perform Aerial Rescue
- NPTC Certificate of Competence in Mobile Elevating Work Platforms and Related Operations
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
There are opportunities for overtime at enhanced rates of pay. All PPE, equipment and necessary training are provided by the employer. Most work is local to Reading.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 19th December 2021
Interview Date: week commencing Monday 3rd January 2022
Interview Process: one-hour in person interview and a climbing test (please bring PPE to the interview)
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success