About The Job
Salary: £51,764 - £54,823 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: County Hall, Chichester or Parkside, Horsham (negotiation possible)
Interview Date: 10, 13 and 14 December 2021
The Growth Team is part of the Communities Directorate in Place Services and works with teams across the council, establishing effective relationships with District and Borough colleagues and key local partners, to improve outcomes for all our residents.
During a period of significant and fundamental change, we need strong, passionate, experienced, collaborative and cohesive leadership with a key focus on positive change that supports the delivery of area-based regeneration and growth in a defined area.
As our communities continue to change, we need to be agile in response to emerging priorities and take sound, pragmatic, evidence-based decisions, making the best use of limited resources available and maximising opportunities.
Our strategy is designed to meet the following Corporate Priorities:
- A sustainable and prosperous economy
- Helping people and communities to fulfil their potential
- Making the best of our resources
- Along with the cross-cutting themes of tackling climate change, and health and well-being.
This role is pivotal within our Communities Directorate, supporting the economic reset plan and the recently updated 'Our West Sussex Plan' in continuing to deliver a sustainable and prosperous economy by focusing on the economic challenges in different places and supporting the delivery of homes, jobs and business space.
As the Growth Programme Delivery Manager, you will work closely, build relationships, and collaborate with partner organisations (notably relevant District and Borough Councils), to drive the progress of the Growth Deal implementation and ongoing development.
You will work across two of the following geographic areas:
- Adur & Worthing
- Mid Sussex
Experience and Skills
- Project and programme management skills, including the ability to apply project management principles and practices to complex issues.
- Ability to make sound pragmatic problem-solving decisions, based on analysis. Supporting economic outputs and utilising resources effectively.
- Excellent communication and written skills with the ability to successfully influence and persuade others and negotiate effective business solutions.
- Effective people management and performance management skills with the ability to provide direction, leadership and support to individuals and teams, setting timescales, objectives and review effectiveness of service delivery.
- Effective research, evaluation and interpretation skills to derive conclusions and produce business cases and funding bids to attract investment.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Post graduate professional qualification relevant either to management or to the professional service specialism; or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating comprehensive application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Expert relevant experience in specialist area, including sound relevant operational experience.
- Significant post qualification experience in dealing with significant and complex issues.
- Successful experience of building effective, productive, and collaborative working relationships and partnerships, both internally and externally, with a diverse range of senior stakeholders including in a high-profile political environment to deliver objectives.
- Experience of delivering or co-ordinating a quality service to others.
- Experience of managing / leading staff.
- Experience of managing a budget and contributing to financially related decisions on high level spending.
- Exposure to shaping and supporting initiatives in a political environment - Desirable.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Including 29 days annual leave, you will have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CPP00449.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Nick Burrell (Strategic Manager - Growth, OPE & Partnerships) at .
To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to referencing and a health check.