Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have an opportunity for Senior Health and Safety Officer. WSCC is a diverse organisation that provides services to more than 850,000 residents every day. Our teams use their experience to enable and challenge the Council to deliver improved efficiency and effectiveness. The Health, Safety and Wellbeing (HSW) of our teams is a priority for WSCC.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website
About The Job
Salary: £36,922 - £39,880 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
In this role you will be responsible for providing Health and Safety (H&S) advice and devising programmes of work that give practical support to assist the management, development and application of H&S standards and policies across WSCC including Schools. You will also assist the Head of the H&S Service to promote ownership of HSW and will play a key role in the H&S compliance and assurance process.
There will be a need to travel to/from a variety of council workplaces including temporary sites as required, and the work will involve working outside at times to carry out site monitoring visits.
You will be required to line manage a small team of H&S Officers.
Experience and Skills
You will have previous experience working in an H&S role, providing risk-based advice and professional support to managers and staff at all levels across a large employer, with diverse workplaces and with multiple H&S risks, issues and environments.
You will have excellent interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to deal credibly with communications, whilst ensuring advice and guidance is received and acted upon.
In addition you will also be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and experience:
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills with good computer literacy for delivering a variety of tasks e.g. delivering training and communicating at all levels of the organisation.
- Excellent negotiating skills in order to convince others of the need to implement and maintain H&S standards.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a wide range of people.
- Good knowledge of current H&S legislation, guidance and good practice and ability to keep up to date with new developments in H&S.
- Analytical and judgemental skills in order to assess H&S needs and to respond appropriately and provide unbiased options.
- Ability to keep up to date with new developments in the H&S field.
- Experience of working with schools would be advantageous.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- A National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) Diploma or National Vocational Qualification Level 6 in Occupational Safety and Health Practice or equivalent.
- Membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or equivalent membership reflective of level of qualification, and evidence of on-going Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Experience working in an H&S role advising, supporting, coaching, enabling and monitoring H&S practice and a proven track record of building effective relationships with key stakeholders.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00529.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.