Fixed Term Contract/Secondment for 1 year
Salary: Band 5 – £20,159 – £21,841 p.a. (£8,717 – £9,444 pro rata)
16 hours per week – hours to be discussed
Working outside of these service hours may also be required. This role will be based at the Housing Depot.
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
The services that operate from the Housing Depot include but are not limited to the removal and disposal of bulk, green waste and trolleys from the estate, jet-washing, window cleaning using long-reach poles, bin cleaning as well as resourcing the Estate Service Officers.
The primary role of the Green & Clean service is the cleaning and gardening of all communal housing areas. Our purpose is “to help
You will be part of a team that receives a high volume of demand which you will record onto the Green & Clean database. You will be responsible for allocating jobs to multiple resources ensuring the work is prioritised in the required manner.
We work in a demand-led way, which means we do not operate to a schedule and specification. You will use data from our computer systems to further your local knowledge about our housing estates in order to decide where to allocate resources.
You will be the first point of contact for an entire team, some lone-workers, and will need to be able to respond in a timely, appropriate and supportive manner to queries you receive.
You must have a good understanding of health and safety legislation, service specific rules and risk assessments. You will need to have a strong focus on promoting health and safety, which will include managing staff’s lone-working and ensuring safe methods of work.
You will need to be able to resolve problems that are beyond the remit or capacity of the team, e.g. working with other departments to deal with tenancy issues, escalating issues to the Green & Clean supervisor or Manager if required.
Due to the varying nature of the workload and demand which hits the service you may also be required to work outside the normal core hours, including evenings and weekends – this flexibility is paramount.
Who is the person?
- To be able to work well under pressure, as you will be managing a high volume of calls.
- To be a good listener and capture information concisely & accurately.
- To be able to communicate effectively over the phone and face-to-face to support the team in meeting the Green & Clean purpose.
- To be a motivated, hard-working and conscientious individual who is able to use initiative when necessary and take pride in the work.
- To be a confident and calm person who is able to be diplomatic in challenging situations.
- To be able to make good decisions, take responsibility for actions and learn from any mistakes made.
- To be flexible and able to adapt to changing work situations.
- To be an honest person with a positive attitude and good work ethic.
- To have good IT skills, including experience using databases and Microsoft Office suite.
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.