Head Chef and Food Educator
The Executive Headteacher and Governors at Rotherfield and Newington Green Primary Schools are looking to appoint a Head Chef and Food Educator.
The role of Head Chef/Food Educator will have a major impact on the children’s lives through ensuring that children get a high quality food offering throughout the day at school, and learn about nutrition which will set them up for life.
We want candidates who want to make our food vison come to life!
Our Food Vision
We want food at both schools to be a central and important part of our whole school educational offer. We would like food linked to the curriculum, and topics we are learning, where possible. We want food staff to be part of the school, and part of the ethos of giving our children the best. As with educational staff, we will expect food based school staff to perform in line with the school values and ethos.
We want children, staff and parents to have a say in the menu offer, and for children to learn about food and nutrition through a healthy school food offer. We want pupils to know about where food comes from, food names, and try new foods in a nurturing environment. We want food to be cooked from scratch, locally sourced, seasonal and as ethical as possible.
We want children in our schools to:
*All have the school meal
* LOVE the menu- which reflects what they want to eat, whilst educating them sensitively about new foods
* Know all the kitchen team by name, be excited to see them, and not scared to ask for more, less or what they want
*Have kitchen staff who listen to what they would like (Food council) and plan fun, nutritious, cooked from scratch menus
*A dining experience which ensures they can talk, share food and know what they are eating (labels, education)
*Have a high quality breakfast and after school offer which compliments the school day offer
*Develop the food cultures of the schools to ensure pupils understand the journey of food from farm to fork, how food reflects cultures, understanding nutrition and health
We want you if you can…
Lead on developing, implementing and continuously improving the food vision for Rotherfield and Newington Green Primary Schools working closely with Senior Leadership and the kitchen teams.
Work with the school and Chefs in School to manage the change from a contract catering model to high quality in house school food provision. chefsinschools.org.uk
Lead on innovation, menu development, cost control and compliance within the prevailing legislation governing school food.
Lead on kitchen premises health and safety, food and equipment procurement, and continuous CPD for the kitchen teams.
Utilise staff across 2 schools to support the food vision of the 2 schools, managing them to ensure a transparent and clear delegation of responsibilities.
Lead on developing a food culture in line with our food vision including a food and cookery curriculum for the whole school and food related projects for the school and have high aspirations for the future of food for both schools.
- Salary: £34,689 to £35,949. NJC scale S02(points 27 to 29). 35 hours per week, working all year round. There may be flexibility to work term time only in discussion with the schools, to match caring commitments. As an Islington employee the school pays into the Local Government Pension Scheme at around 22% of your salary- an excellent benefit for staff.
- Closing date for applications: Tuesday 4th January 2022 at noon. We reserve the right to interview and appoint before the closing date if a suitable candidate is found.
- Interview/selection dates: Planned for week beginning 10th January 2022 unless we appoint before closing date.