Newham is a vibrant inner-city borough with excellent transport links to the rest of London and South-East England, including Kent, Essex, Surrey and Middlesex. 72% of the population are from BAME communities, contributing to 220 languages being spoken in the area. Proud to be home to one of the youngest and most diverse cultures across the country, Newham is an exciting and challenging borough that is committed to putting people at the heart of everything we do.
The Borough boasts iconic landmarks such as, Green Street, the Olympic Park, Excel centre, Westfield Shopping Centre and the University of East London. Newham is changing rapidly, benefiting from significant investment, creating new jobs, homes and opportunities for all. The Mayor of London has provided the Borough with £107 million funding through the ‘Building Council Homes for Londoners’ programme, supporting the construction of 1,100 new homes by 2022. From this we expect to see an additional 2,500 jobs created over the next decade, injecting £1.5 billion to the local economy.
Having recently been through a massive shift in direction following both the newly elected Mayor and appointment of the Chief Executive, we are now starting a journey of transformation and improvement that will put people at the heart of everything we do, creating opportunities for everyone.
About the Job
To successfully develop, coordinate and manage apprenticeship programme and manage the current Cohorts of apprentices in the various fields of training they are undertaking, ranging from Property Maintenance / Gas and Electrical Engineering / Civil and Highways Engineering / Administration and Finance.
The level of apprentices engaged at any one time could be (but not restricted to) sixteen.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate sound skills in the area of communication with the ability to interact with the various faculties carrying out the appropriate course work, they will also need to have a strong understanding of current and future Government and Local Authority strategies in this area.
Computer literate and possess the ability to learn new systems and processes adopted by LBN.
They will need to work independently, producing regular reports on the progress of current apprentices and the recruiting of new apprentices while liaising with the various LBN departments.
The successful applicant should possess the following knowledge, experiences, skills and abilities:-
- An in depth understanding of the provision of a customer orientated repairs and maintenance service.
- Understanding of financial management and income generation requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of Health & Safety at work legislation.
- Knowledge of, and ability to use management techniques, concepts and practices.
- Understanding of and the ability to use information technology as applicable to the business.
- An extensive understanding of issues relating to social housing
- Ability to manage information, statistics and finance data, undertake effective analysis.
- A sound building construction/repairs background is essential, particularly within a social housing environment.
- Significant management experience of a large number of staff/operatives. Also demonstrating an ability to lead, manage, develop and motivate staff and operatives within a changing environment.
- Cultural and organisational change.
- Ability to develop organisational structures to provide high quality customer focused services.
- Management of resources, including budgets.
- Involvement with service users in service monitoring and development.
- Monitoring and operating Incentive schemes.
- Quality and performance management.
- Experience of tender and preparing quotations and associated processes.
- Working with faculties in ensuring the best apprentice training is available.
- Demonstrate a previous career history of working within this field.
Closing date for applications is 4pm on Friday 26th November 2021 however interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
Please submit your CV with a personal statement of no more than x2 A4 sides outlining how you would be suitable for the role with due regard to the person specification attached to the job description.
Please follow this link to view the Job Description and Person Specification:
Job Description & Person Specification
Good luck with your application.