As the Chief Accountant, you will be leading an innovative and professional team of accountants, focussed on delivering quality professional services of fundamental strategic importance to the Council.
Reporting to the Strategic Finance Advisor Corporate, you will be responsible for the operational management and delivery of all Financial Reporting requirements, overseeing the production of annual Statements of Accounts and all other Government returns, acting as the Council’s chief contact with External Audit and ensuring full integrity of the financial systems (SAP). In addition the role will have responsibility for strategic budget setting and financing of the Council’s substantial Capital Programme.
The Chief Accountant will lead the team ensuring that the proper financial accountability of the Council is reported and that published financial statements meet statutory requirements and to oversee and manage the audit process to satisfactory conclusion. They will support the corporate decision-making activities undertaken by Senior Managers and Members. Key responsibilities include;
- Leading on the annual co-ordinating and closure of the Council’s and Pension Fund’s Accounts
- Co-ordinating and publishing a closing timetable promoting earlier close in line with proposed Government legislative timetable
- Providing technical expertise and advice to Senior Officers and Members when required
- Supporting and advising on MTFS and the preparation of Revenue and Capital Budgets
- Continuously reviewing the quality of service deliver and promoting good accounting practice across the Council
To be suitable for the role you need to be a qualified accountant with very strong technical skills and proven experience of playing a leading role in the closedown within a Local Government setting. The ability to interpret complex technical information is also essential.
Going forward Waltham Forest will be operating a hybrid working model, with a greater balance between home based and office working, subject to role requirements.
For more information on Waltham Forest, the recruitment processes and to see the job description please, refer to https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/walthamforest or contact Will Ryan at Allen Lane on 07789871864 for a confidential conversation.