An exciting opportunity has become available to join a team dedicated to delivering a high level of customer service within our Parks across the borough on a part-time basis.
Your duties will include unlocking and locking of parks, regular patrols and maintaining a customer friendly environment for visitors at all times. You will be highly visible and proactively engage with members of the public, event organisers, community groups and sports teams.
In addition to these duties, you will assist with the day-to-day operation of seasonal facilities including the Stoke Park Visitor Point, paddling pool and Chantry Wood campsite.
With excellent verbal communication skills, you will be able to interact with members of the public in a tactful and diplomatic manner. You will be flexible and reliable with the ability to organise and prioritise workloads. You will be required to keep written records and ensure that administrative tasks are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
To be successful as a Ranger, candidates should be professional, polite, and committed to delivering a high level of customer service. You must feel confident to challenge the misuse of facilities, complete general administration tasks and have good time management skills with the ability to work to fluctuating demands.
The Ranger Team operate seven days a week between the hours of 7am and 8:30pm. The hours of work for this post are Monday and Tuesday from 4:30pm to 8:30pm and Saturday and Sunday from 7am to 2pm all year. Some flexibility with these hours may be considered and there will be opportunities to work more hours if desired.
The post is based at the Parks depot in Stoke Park, Guildford.
- Be a positive presence in parks and open spaces, and through community work promote greater use of the Borough's parks and green spaces by the local community
- Represent Guildford Borough Council and patrol the open spaces in uniform to protect the site and visitors from potential harm, enforcing the byelaws. This will involve reporting incidents, challenging misuse, resolving conflicts, preventing damage, removing hazards, liaising with the emergency services and reducing risks to maintain a safe environment.
- Be the first on-site point of contact for the public within parks and countryside sites. Deal with customer enquiries and emergencies, ensuring full and accurate records, and timely follow-up of enquiries
- Ensure that all areas of the Parks are maintained and presented to the highest standards, are clean and litter free at all times, removing risks to public health and safety; such as broken glass or litter
- Ensure that sites are opened and closed as necessary and maintain security to all park buildings preventing damage/theft to Parks and Leisure property
- Attend meetings, make presentations, and collect information from representative users to inform fellow officers about the management or potential development of parks or countryside sites
- Be responsible for basic maintenance of vehicles, machinery, equipment and tools; reporting any defects and completing necessary documentation
- Manage sport facilities, issue tickets and sports equipment. These duties include managing the paddling pool in Stoke Park to the standards required as per the National Pool Plant Operators Foundation level II qualification
- Maintain an efficient working relationship with internal Guildford Borough Council departments and external partners
- Drive and be responsible for Guildford Borough Council vehicles
- Any other duties of a similar nature, as may be requested by management
Interviews: Shortlisting will be undertaken as applications are received. If you do not receive an invitation for interview, please assume you have not been shortlisted.
CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
The benefits include:
- Competitive pay
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Full training
- Good variety of work
- A supportive Employee Assistance Programme
Key skills and requirements:
- Full, clean UK driving licence
- Committed to delivering excellent customer service
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritise workload
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage with a wide variety of people
- Confidence and professionalism to challenge inappropriate behaviour and misuse of facilities
- Ability to understand and implement operational procedures and risk assessments
- Strong team working skills
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to work un-supervised