We are recruiting for Childcare Workers to join our outstanding Children's Homes in West Sussex. Our Homes, which have received 'Good' or 'Outstanding' in their Ofsted rating, are Orchard House in Cuckfield, Haywards Heath and High Trees and Teasel Close in Crawley.
Shifts and rotas - for day work, you will be required to work on a shift rota between 07:00 - 22:00, which will include every other weekend and sleep in duties when needed. This will be discussed and agreed with the successful candidate.
About the role of Childcare Worker
You will become part of a high performing, incredibly welcoming, child-centred team that really makes a difference to children's and young people's lives.
As a Childcare Worker, you will manage challenging behaviour and provide personal care, which enables the children to maintain and improve their skills and daily lives in line with individual care plans.
To succeed at this role, you will help to provide a nurturing, positive and safe environment for our children and young people, ensuring that we meet our statutory obligations to the highest standards possible. With direct responsibility for designated children or young people, you will ensure that each person is given the appropriate care and support to achieve their full potential.
For more information, please visit our dedicated Residential website, Careers in Children's Residential Care.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to provide clear and concise advice and specialist guidance to a range of children and families
- Ability to promote and encourage a multi-agency approach to support the child
- Ability to use IT to write detailed accurate and factual written reports
- Ability to use initiative to resolve problems within given parameters
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise work
- Ability to work as part of a team around a child
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Good standard of literacy e.g. ability to write reports around individual young people and significant incidents and to be able to write application for level 3 diploma if required. Could be gained through formal education or vocational experience
- Level 3 Diploma in Residential Childcare or equivalent qualification. If you do not have this, the service will support you to complete this qualification; you must achieve this within two years of appointment as it is a statutory requirement of this post
- Knowledge of Children's home regulations 2015 (England) (Desirable)
- Knowledge of how to support children who have experienced trauma, harm or abuse (Desirable)
- Previous childcare experience, preferably in a residential setting (Desirable)
- Experience of working with children with disabilities, complex high-risk adolescents or related experience e.g. adults with disabilities (Desirable)
Rewards and Benefits
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The safety of our employees is of upmost importance to us, and candidates that are successful at interview will be subject to a pre-employment risk assessment, where risks related to COVID-19 will be discussed and where possible suitably mitigated.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03214
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact one of the following people;
May House, Worthing - Emma Gibbons (Registrered Manager)
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter, explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role, ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
*please state in your cover letter your location preference or Home preference.*
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.