Do you have a passion for maritime operations? Could you help provide an efficient maritime service to uphold regulations and ensure that Falkland Islands maritime safety and security is maintained? Do you hold an Officer of the Watch (Deck) STCW REG II/1 (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency and/or relevant degree with 5 years’ relevant post qualification experience? Do you like the idea of working in one of the most beautiful places in the world with amazing landscapes, friendly communities and incredible wildlife? If you have answered yes to these questions, then you could be the new Maritime Officer the Falkland Islands is looking for.
With direction from the Deputy Harbour Master this role includes undertaking harbour/port operations, including patrols of main harbours, to enforce maritime legislation, harbour and pollution law, and to deal with any transgressions or incidents, including pollution clean-up to ensure effective response to safety at sea and for pollution prevention.
The role also includes monitoring compliance with relevant maritime laws, investigating cases and preparing prosecution cases as required to uphold the law for the Falkland Islands Government. As an appropriately trained and qualified CAT 2 Inspector, you will carry out inspections of foreign flagged merchant and fishing vessels in accordance with the approved inspection standards and Authority policy. You will monitor and regulative traffic, inspect and maintain navigational aids and enforce the Port Facility Security Plan.
- Holds an Officer of the Watch (Deck) STCW REG II/1 (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency and/or relevant degree with 5 years’ post qualification experience.
- A current valid driver’s licence.
- Understands safe management of vessel operations, marine meteorology, emergency response, port control operations, pilotage and relevant health and safety and security legislation such as the PMSC and ISPS Codes.
- Able to integrate and work with team members across Government directorates.
- Fixed Term Contract up to 4 years
- Salary Range, basic starting salary £31,577k to £35,133k, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- Favourable income tax rates.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to email@example.com before the closing date.
Applications close 28th November at 23.30 GMT.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.