Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have an opportunity for a Support Worker at our Glebelands Day Centre in Shoreham by Sea. There is a need to adapt the way West Sussex County Council delivers services so that we can better meet the needs of people in West Sussex both now and in the future. The Adults In House Social Care Services are making changes that will ensure day services are flexible, responsive and see people for who they are, as well as what they can and wish to do.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £19,312 - £19,698 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: Glebelands Day Centre, Shoreham by Sea
You will work as part of a team based within the Day Opportunity Service, where the key aim is to support people, learning to use a strengths-based approach to meet their agreed outcomes. For some people, this could be through a time-limited programme of support to build confidence and help develop skills for independent living, both within the centre and out in the community. For people with more complex needs, a strong focus on maintaining independence skills and having personal control over their care is central.
You will enable people to develop and/or maintain daily living skills and attend to physical, social, and emotional needs-ensuring comfort, safety and improving each person's wellbeing.
Experience and Skills
You will have a basic understanding of people with learning disabilities, people with dementia and other cognitive impairments, adults with physical and sensory impairments. Ability to support people to grow in confidence and a desire to develop their ability to do the things they want to. Knowledge of safeguarding and managing risks.
In addition you will also be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and experience:
- A basic understanding of the needs of the people you will be supporting and their rights as an individual.
- You will understand individual situations and be able to identify basic practical solutions. Be kind, supportive, encouraging and non-judgemental whilst building on people's strengths that support people's goals. Sharing communication at the daily handover to ensure there is a continuity of care and to write daily records for the people you support.
- Able to communicate clearly with the people who use the service and participate in conversations with family members and paid/unpaid carers and professionals/colleagues from time to time.
- The ability to adapt communication appropriately and use suitable tools where needed (e.g. basic Makaton), along with being aware of the sensitivities of language when working with a diverse range of people.
Qualification and / or Experience:
- Adult Care Worker - Level 2 or equivalent is desirable. If you are new to care or have experience in care and do not have this qualification, there is a requirement for you to begin within the first 6 months of starting in role.
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills in order to record and document activities.
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety practice, First Aid and Fire procedures, Moving and Handling of people is also desirable.
- Post holder will hold a UK full driving license - desirable but not essential.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 26 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03363.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.