Refuse Driver (LGV Chargehand Driver)
(starting total pay of £30,032 - this is made up of the base grade salary plus contractual overtime and allowances)
It is an exciting time in Street Services at the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Be part of a team who are making Greenwich an environmentally friendly place to live, work and visit.
The Directorate of Communities and Environment prides itself on the service it provides to the residents of Greenwich. We are looking to recruit more people who take pride in their work and want to help the Council meet its commitment to providing quality services to enhance the environment and increase recycling rates. There are opportunities for qualified LGV Drivers to join our waste collection service to drive our refuse collection vehicles collecting household and commercial waste on a daily basis.
Successful candidates will work anywhere within the Borough of Greenwich, work outside in all weathers, and be able to use associated tools, mechanical aids and equipment. You must have a full Category C LGV drivers licence as well as a valid driver CPC qualification card.
The working hours are: 35-hour standard week, Monday to Friday from 6:00am to 8.00pm, working shifts within these times. The post comes with 6 hours contractual overtime and there will also be opportunities to work overtime outside of regular working hours.
Candidates must be over 18 years old and you will be required to work until all collection rounds are completed. Full training will be given. You will be dealing with members of the public and a positive approach to customer care is essential.
We offer a range of benefits which include:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- GreenwichCard which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Also available to successful applicants
- Training and development opportunities including 7 hours per year funded Driver CPC Training
- Opportunities for working additional overtime during the weekend and during the busiest times of the year like Christmas and Easter
- 28 days' annual leave a year rising to 31 after 5 years' service
This role involves managing a team of 2 or more waste operatives making sure that scheduled waste collections are made between 6am to 8pm (shift depending).
If you are a reliable, motivated, qualified LGV Driver and would like to join our successful, forward thinking service, we'd love to hear from you.
Please visit our recruitment site for further information and to make an application - royalgreenwichcareers.com
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to undertake a driving assessment and interview.
Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.