Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have created a new opportunity to join the contracts team on a 2 year Fixed Term Contract as a Contract Officer. Working to transform Adults' Services, we're embracing a partnership-based approach to developing the local market of services for people with learning disabilities, mental health conditions, autism, and physical disabilities. As part of the Council's adult commissioning and contracts team, you will work proactively with independent providers of social care services to deliver a market that develops independence, prepares people for adulthood, and fully involves our customers & their support networks.
We're ambitious and want to continually improve the quality of the community services that people use; we are looking for someone who shares this ambition and has the initiative to take forward new areas of work as required.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £25,991 - £28,672 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Contract: Fixed-Term (until 01/12/2023)
As part of a centrally managed learning disabilities and mental health contracts team, that ensures good quality and affordable care is available for all residents, you will work proactively with existing and emerging markets to develop and maintain relationships to ensure services are responsive and meet customer need.
You will be responsible for managing a number of low to medium risk / low to medium value contracts to ensure performance is achieved at the appropriate level. The contracts will vary in size and complexity depending on the services being offered and the outcomes required.
Your role will be to collate and analyse performance information through the set up and management of routine monitoring processes including regular contractor meetings. Supported by a Senior Contracts Officer and the broader team, you will identify performance issues and agree and implement performance improvement plans.
Experience and Skills
You will be organised, with good IT skills and a keen attention to detail. The role requires you to develop and maintain good relationships, so you will need strong interpersonal skills so you can understand and respond to the challenges faced by independent providers of social care services and other key stakeholders.
You will use your initiative to independently respond across a variety of contracts. This will involve organising your own workload and making decisions as to how and when duties should be carried out and includes accessing your supervisor / manager for advice and guidance on unusual or difficult issues.
A good understanding of the adult social care market is essential knowledge for this role, and you'll need to be confident in communicating key messages to and from the market.
In addition you will also be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and experience:
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills in order to understand complex written information, contracts and to check statistical financial information and other documents.
- Ability to present information clearly, concisely, accurately and in ways that promote understanding, either verbally or in written / electronic form, for example when producing a tender.
- Good analytical skills in order to interpret complex contract / financial information and the ability to organise and plan and meet set targets, for example for timely distribution of tenders.
- Developed communication and interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with a range of people and create and maintain effective working relationships. Including the ability to advise and guide others to understand technical information and influence them to make sound decisions.
- Developed negotiation skills in order to work with providers to achieve improvements in contract terms.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience demonstrating that level of numeracy, literacy and communication skills.
- Demonstrable experience of managing contracts for effective results ensuring best value and optimum service levels are maintained.
- Experience of working within office systems / practices and providing support to clients.
- Advanced theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge of contracts tender and management including an understanding of the financial and legal frameworks governing contract management.
- Experience of using Microsoft Office for word processing, analysing data, creating and developing workflows or electronic presentations.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 26 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03355.