Reading Borough Council is committed to providing a high quality effective and efficient waste collection service. We carry out a full range of domestic, recycling and commercial waste collection services to a high standard endeavouring to reduce landfill and maximize recycling across the services.
We are looking for an experienced Waste Services Manager to join our dynamic and enthusiastic team to help deliver the highest level of customer services to out customers, in line with the national codes of practice, statutory requirements and Council policy and strategy.
About the Role
The main purpose of the role is to lead, manage and develop all aspects of the waste collection service, exercising a thorough working knowledge of household and commercial waste collections:
- To plan and implement the major waste service changes which will emerge from the Government’s Resource and Waste Strategy.
- To lead and manage the delivery of a high quality, responsive, customer focussed, efficient and cost-effective waste/recycling collection service within Reading.
- Be responsible for the direct management of the waste service management team including the Assistant Waste Manager, Operations Supervisors, Recycling and Enforcement and the Waste support teams and assist them in the supervision of 65 staff within the service in accordance with Council policies.
- Lead and manage workforce development, developing training for approx 65 operatives and to upskill and motivate staff.
- To have experience in the enforcement of environmental crimes across the borough including (but not limited to), fly-tipping, littering and commercial waste enforcement.
- Previous experience within a similar management and leadership role within a Waste related service.
- A thorough understanding of relevant legislation covering Environmental Services including enforcement.
- A thorough understanding of the Resource and Waste Strategy and its implications for the Waste Service.
- A thorough understanding of relevant Health & Safety (at work) legislation.
- Thorough understanding of relevant contractual issues.
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
For more information on this position please contact David.email@example.com
Closing Date: 27th October 2021
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success