Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we are developing and investing in our Trading Standards team and from this we have several permanent opportunities for Trading Standards Officers. We are considering fully qualified Officers as well as part qualified and Trainee Officers. This is a career graded post and will offer the chance to progress depending on your level of experience and qualification.
The Trading Standards Service is responsible for a wide range of consumer, business and environmental protection legislation which regulate the production, storage, marketing and supply of food, goods and services throughout the supply chain, and the behaviours of businesses that are based, or operate, within the County.
The responsibilities of the Service are widespread and include food standards and product safety, intellectual property protection, animal disease control, control of the supply of age restricted products, safeguarding the vulnerable, licensing and inspection of explosives and petroleum storage facilities, rogue traders, deceptive trade practices and weights and measures.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £20,903 - £35,745 per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: Parkside, Horsham / Chichester
This is a career graded post meaning dependant on experience and qualification you can range from the entry level Trainee at Grade 6 up to a Senior Trading Standards Officer at Grade 10.
As a fully qualified Trading Standards Officer you will be asked to conduct interventions with businesses to ascertain regulatory compliance, and to act as an investigating officer on matters appropriate to your level of competence. You will be making judgements on matters such as compliance with regulations, the issuing of improvement notices, securing evidence, liaising with test houses, identifying witnesses and conducting formal interviews.
From this grade, and subject to your level of competency, you may be asked to act as, for example, a Single Point of Contact for a District / Borough Environmental Health Team, provide assured advice, represent the Service on a regional group (e.g. TSSEL focus group), act as an assessor or provide internal training to colleagues. You will be required to give evidence at Court as necessary.
Experience and Skills
You will need to be a self-motivated individual, with a positive, can-do attitude and a desire to put the customer first. You will need to be confident in your ability to make justified and well-informed decisions and to clearly communicate with a range of customers and partners. You will mostly need to be able to work independently, within parameters, but also be a willing member of a larger team contributing to the priorities of the Service.
In addition you will also be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and experience:
- Ability to organise/prioritise work, co-ordinate a variety of tasks in a clear and logical way and meet agreed deadlines.
- Ability to quickly assimilate information; consider the issues, risks and legal implications and to adopt the most appropriate course of action.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with customers and create and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work in a customer focussed way, providing a high-quality service with a high level of attention to detail and gaining the trust and confidence of both residents and businesses in West Sussex.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills in order to prepare reports of infringement in prescribed format for prosecution or other formal action.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- To have completed, or be towards the end of, the Regulatory Compliance Officer Higher Level Apprenticeship, or equivalent qualification (e.g. law degree), or experience in demonstrating that level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- CTSI Trading Standards Practitioner Diploma (Level 5 NQF) - For Qualified Officer
- (FCATS plus 40 points under previous qualification framework, or DTS) - For Qualified Officer
- Experience of working within a Trading Standards Service and demonstrating the ability to understand the Service's wider aims and objectives.
- Demonstrable evidence of delivering a comprehensive, effective, efficient trading standards service to a range of customers.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 26 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00522.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.