Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have an opportunity for HR Policy Consultant. Our vision for the county is that local communities are independent, strong and vibrant. We target our effort on those services that will make the biggest difference to communities, enabling them to help themselves in achieving their aspirations.
We work with other organisations and join up our respective expertise to help achieve this. Where needed the County Council will provide a helping hand to those residents who are at risk when they require it.
We are proud of our values because they were developed with our employees during the Great Place to Work employee engagement events. They demonstrate how we work and interact with customers, partners and colleagues on a day-to-day basis.
For more information on WSCC, please visit our website.
About The Job
Salary: £40,876 - £43,857per annum
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
Robust employment policies are well communicated and implemented effectively are key in delivering a successful HR service. You be part of a small team working closely with HR colleagues, trade unions and managers ensure that our HR policies are fit for purpose in driving best practice an inclusive workplace culture and productive employee relations.
You will also provide pro-active and pragmatic technical advice and guidance to HR colleagues across a range of subject areas as well as supporting HR interventions and initiatives.
Experience and Skills
You will be an experienced HR professional with strong technical knowledge and the ability to provide strong advice to address employment issues across a range of subject areas. You will have excellent communication skills and the ability to research, explain and present complex matters in a clear and concise manner suitable to the audience. You will have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal credibly with professional colleagues, senior managers and executives whilst being challenging, professional and outcome focused.
In addition you will also be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and experience:
- Excellent oral communication skills, with ability to clearly explain policy and technical issues effectively at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to influence policy decisions and senior stakeholders.
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to present policy or technical information in a concise accurate and understandable way appropriate to the audience.
- Inclusive team player prepared to take a corporate approach.
- The ability to provide practical solutions to support the efficient and effective delivery of HR services.
- The ability to effectively manage a varied workload with conflicting priorities
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Up to date in-depth understanding of employment legislation.
- Strong understanding and commitment to equalities and diversity in employment and its application to large public-sector employers.
- Experience of providing comprehensive advice and guidance on complex and contentious employment matters.
- Experience of developing, implementing and evaluating HR interventions and policies and providing relevant guidance and advice in an organisation of similar complexity and scale.
- Experience of building engagement through collaboration with representative groups, trade unions, senior managers and other stakeholders to deliver HR interventions.
- Level 5 CIPD qualification or equivalent.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 29 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00527.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.