Housing Estate Environmental Officer
Full time 37 hours
RG4 – scp 11-22
£21,748 - £27,041
The team undertakes waste and cleansing duties within RBC’s communal housing stock. You will liaise with colleagues in other teams and departments to ensure effective service delivery and improve the quality of the environment. Your role will be to ensure recycling & waste minimisation for the reduction and prevent of pests/vermin, whilst ensuring the Housing estate conforms to agreed standards to promote health & wellbeing for residents.
About the role
Responsible for ensuring that the Housing estate is clean, tidy and safe. That all works are completed effectively and in accordance with Safe Working Practices.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Remove bagged waste from around bins in bin areas
- Report to Waste Services and record additional collections needed
- Engage and educate residents on improving waste management and recycling
- Litter picking including the removal of cigarette ends in public areas
- Sweeping of communal paths, car parks and play areas
- Inspect every floor within each block to identify and remove bulky waste items from landings of flats and report to RBC Parks/Waste Services for removal and to the Housing Officer for tenancy breaches.
- Identify fly-tipped waste on estate and report to RBC Parks/Waste Services for removal and to the Housing Officer for tenancy breaches.
- Liaise with colleagues in RBC street cleansing team to arrange removal of Graffiti
- Safe removal of hazardous sharps and any other potentially harmful waste from Housing estates
- Reporting incidents of vandalism and criminal damage to Thames Valley Police and escalate to Housing Officer.
- Work closely with Pest control contractor to prevent and detect pests and to support any actions to remedy the situation.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Minimum of 3 GCSE’s at or above grade C.
- Possession of a clean current driving licence for a minimum of 2 years.
- Experience of heavy manual work and planning own work schedules.
- Complying with safe working practices.
- Working in a customer service environment, dealing with sometimes difficult customers face to face.
- Awareness of HSE guidelines as they apply to the role.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-functional team.
- Able and happy to work in evening and on the weekend on a Rota (Shift Allowances)
- You will be required to wear a uniform that will be provided
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 26th Oct
Interview Date: to be confirmed
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.