As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect who you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
Please watch our video to hear from some of our staff about what they love most about working for the Library service!
What is the role?
You will provide quality library services to meet the learning and recreational needs of all who live, work or study in the city and those who seek to engage with our services from elsewhere.
You will be assisting the public in using and accessing library services from library counters, library floors and from workrooms.
The key tasks will include:
- To deliver an effective Information, Enquiry and Reader Development Service.
- Support the delivery and development of activities, events and other library offers as required.
- Read stories to children and lead Rhymetime sessions as required
- Issuing and discharging books and daily set up routines.
- Joining new members and processing the forms
- Cash handling duties including dealing with floats for the tills and carrying out cash reconciliation and banking procedures in accordance with Portsmouth CC Financial regulations
- Responsibility for building security including locking and unlocking procedures and key holding.
- Helping people use the library computers
- Shelving and tidying stock.
- Maintain the attractive appearance and tidiness of the library to make it a suitable environment for service users, i.e. counter clutter free, tidy books and shelves, clean keyboard.
- Process orders for stock of new library materials and repair damage to existing stock as required, i.e. book covers/pages
- Participate in the delivery of cleaning and housekeeping activities for the work place.
Who is the person?
You need to be:
- A numerate and literate person, with Maths and English skills to fulfil the needs of the role.
- An outgoing friendly person with good communication and customer care skills.
- A person who is confident to work with the public, able to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
- An organised and methodical person who can maintain accurate manual and IT based records.
- Someone with good IT skills and confident to learn and use new systems.
- A team player and willing to support colleagues in the best interest of the library and its users.
- A flexible person who can adapt quickly to different work situations and locations
- A person who is confident enough to deal with challenging service users or disruptive visitors to the library.