Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
You will participate in a shift pattern which attracts a 14% shift allowance.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Environmental Health Officer or Food Safety Officer to join our Imported Food Team at London Heathrow Airport. You will be working alongside Official Veterinarians and Technical Officers, ensuring that the highest standards are maintained in relation to the importation of food and feed.
Your role will be to protect public and animal health at the border. On a day to day basis you will be examining consignments containing a variety of foodstuffs to verify that they comply with Domestic import controls, in order to keep our borders safe.
You will have one of the following qualifications:
- Environmental Health Officer with a Certificate of Registration issued by the Environmental Health Registration Board
- Higher Certificate in Food Control issued by the Environmental Health Registration Board
We are looking for an individual that can hit the ground running, so a background in food law enforcement, and knowledge of imported food controls would be advantageous. Experience of providing good customer care will be essential, as you will be expected to provide advice and information to service users, other local authorities and government departments such as the Food Standards Agency.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.