North Somerset Council has an exciting opportunity for a motivated Professional who has extensive experience in Highway Development Management; and has experience of working with developers to achieve quality highway infrastructure.
Typical duties will include:
- Manage budgets of individual schemes, ensuring delivery of the Supervision fee budget and retention of funds for future years, making sure that Section 106 contributions are secured and used to deliver quality highway schemes.
- Be a technical and highways expert on the highway assets, to successfully defend the decisions of the Highway Authority in the public arena.
- Have the ability to identify solutions to complex Highways technical/engineering problems.
- Take responsibility working within a team of highways professionals for the efficient delivery of the Highways Development Implementation works covered under Section 278, 38 and S106 agreements.
- Instigate, manage and co-ordinate the necessary legal and technical procedures across the Council and its partners required to enable developers to enter into legal agreements for the construction of roadworks and in dealing with the management of the Councils highways assets.
- Develop cross-boundary co-operation with adjacent authorities and Highways England.
- Manage the technical approval process of the design and implementation of developer proposals for new roads and improvements to existing highways, ensuring that the Highway submissions conform with the current regulations, standards and specifications.
- Take a lead role to advise, guide, assist and instruct the Council, the Local Planning Authority, developers and their consultants in respect of all highway matters related to developments and highway assets.
- Liaise with the Legal Services team regarding planning and highways issues under S106, S38, S278 Agreements and other Licences and Orders in connection with the Highways Development Implementation Works.
- Undertake regular visits to development sites to meet with contractors and developers to ensure the smooth running of construction projects, confirming design and testing requirements and that construction and procedures meet requirements.
- Dealing with design issues relating to the roadworks under construction and resolving them on site in the most appropriate way.
- Responding to correspondence and advising developer’s, solicitors, residents and councillors on matters relating to highway agreements and the roadworks.
- Prepare committee and technical reports and advise Councillors and Town/Parish Councils on all matters relating to the Highways Development Implementation work.
- Prepare and organise all design stages and contract documentation for Highway improvement works funded by developer’s contributions.
- Drafting clauses for legal agreements relating to highway matters identified in the technical approval process.
Our assets play a sometimes unseen but essential role in the lives of residents, business and visitors alike.
The post holder should be educated to a minimum HNC level (NVQ level4 or equivalent) in a relevant subject and have achieved or be working towards relevant professional status.
Your drive to progress will be rewarded with career development opportunities, an interesting and varied workload and a great working environment.
For an informal discussion, please contact Colin Chandler Lead Engineer Development Management or Darren Gilbert Head of Highway Technical Services on 07776 170282 or 07881 267472.
Anticipated interview date: To be confirmed
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.