Do you have excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to listen, empathise, motivate and be supportive? Would you like to be part of a team supporting residents to be better connected to their community?
The Public Health team at Bracknell Forest Council have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and skilled individual to join our successful team as a Social Prescriber. This role is a 12 month fixed term contract/secondment opportunity.
You will provide personalised support to residents based on ‘what matters’ to them through addressing the wider determinants of health, such as debt, poor housing and physical inactivity, as well as other lifestyle issues and low-level mental health concerns.
We want Bracknell Forest to be the one of the healthiest place to live, work, study and play, providing all the residents with the opportunities to be happy and healthy. You’re going to have a big impact on what we do, so you’ll be trusted to take ownership of your work. You’ll have time to immerse yourself in the community. To deliver better today. And to create a better tomorrow.
Because we’re Bracknell Forest
What it's like working in our team...
We are a small, friendly, and ambitious public health team that are not only support within our organisation, but by the wider East Berkshire Public Health system. We are extremely agile and receptive to change so team members really feel inspired within their roles to deliver and can clearly see the difference they are making to our local residents and customers.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilites and training...
- Provide support to the public health team with the roll-out, implementation and evaluation of social prescribing in Bracknell Forest.
- Respond promptly to referrals received and provide an initial assessment with each individual to establish their interests and motivations, to build rapport.
- Help individuals to identify and build on their strengths, interests and abilities; tailoring the amount and level of support provided in a way that empowers individuals and promotes self-care.
- Provide information, advice and signposting to relevant community groups using the Community Map and other available resources, and where necessary make personal introductions to community group organisers to build confidence.
- Collaborate with and build positive working relationships with residents, public health, primary care, CCG, voluntary sector, health and social care, and other key organisations.
The benefits you will experience are...
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses.
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we're looking for...
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic person who has experience of working with individuals in a health or community-based setting. This role would suit someone who has experience of working with individuals in a one to one capacity using a person- centred approach to improve their health and wellbeing. You will be able to communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds and with different life experiences.
Interviews will be held on 15th November 2021.
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role. Please contact:
Name: Joanne Pittard
Job Title: Social Prescribing Lead
Tel.: 07920 701534
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.