About The Job
Salary: £23,080 - £25,481 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Contract Length: Fixed term or Secondment, ending 31 October 2022.
Location: WSCC Highways Depot, Clapham, near Worthing
Interview Date: 02 November 2021
The Transport Provision Team is responsible for supporting the delivery of a safe passenger transport service for children with additional needs and vulnerable adults across West Sussex. This will be undertaken through the operation of a large number of vehicles, including specialist accessible minibuses and MPV's, and the recruitment and management of a team of drivers (approx. 140).
As the Transport Compliance Auditor/ Trainer, you will have a wide range of responsibilities, with the primary focus being the delivery of compliant induction processes. This will include familiarisation of wheelchair tie down training, tail lift operations and the risk assessment of driving standards through a minibus assessment.
You will have an understanding of customer requirements, matching resources to need in a timely and cost-effective manner. You will support the depot teams on their recruitment of drivers. You will also support the Area Co-ordinators in working collaboratively with community groups (e.g. Parishes and Community Transport groups) to share resources to enhance the offer and reputation of the County Council. You will work closely with the depot teams to maintain a compliant workforce through delivery of accessible minibus wheelchair tie down training and equipment induction, as well as the administration of the training programme.
The role reports to the Transport Provision Manager and will have responsibility in the above key areas, reporting and presenting on services undertaken. The role requires flexibility and the role holder may be expected to cover other areas (across the whole of the county) or focus on other tasks within the role profile when required to ensure the efficient operation of the service and teams.
Experience and Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to write clear and concise reports, documenting the findings of assessments and training outcomes for Area Co-ordinators. Additionally, developed advisory skills will be needed to explain complex driving / equipment issues to Transport Provision staff, WSCC services and members of the public.
- Strong customer focus with the ability to work within a team that provides and delivers high-quality training for passenger transport and effectively raises the profile of Transport Services within the area.
- Ability to present information clearly, concisely, accurately and in ways that promote understanding, either verbally or in written/electronic form.
- Developed communication and interpersonal skills, to provide clear and concise advice and specialist guidance to a range of clients in a training environment.
- Good people skills for supervising / mentoring drivers and to work with colleagues in the area teams to deliver excellent services.
- Training and development skills with the ability to successfully transfer bespoke knowledge and 'up-skill' a range of people to maximise their specific capabilities.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- 'A' levels, or equivalent qualification or experience.
- Full current drivers D1 licence.
- Qualification in PCV driving assessor certification.
- Passenger Transport Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) -Desirable
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge to use resource planning software packages (e.g. Mobisoft MTC or similar), plus all Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of relevant Transport Acts and driver licensing legislative requirements and other relevant pieces of legislation, including health and safety.
- Experience of applying relevant legislation, policies, and procedures to individual pieces of work.
- Demonstrable knowledge of passenger transport operations including use of relevant safety equipment such as tail lifts, stop safe barriers and tie-down equipment
- Proven successful experience of working as part of a team to effectively meet objectives within agreed/necessary timescales.
- Experience of working in partnership with external bodies, volunteers, or agencies.
- Experience of providing training - Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00862.
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Stuart Collins (Transport Provision Manager) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to referencing and a health check.