Residential Valuation Manager
Salary: Band 11 - £39,880 - £43,857 p.a.
37 hours per week
Business Growth is a part of the Housing Neighbourhood and Building Services Directorate.
Business Growth includes a number of services, including the development of housing pathways and the creation and acquisition of residential properties.
What is the role?
This role leads the Residential Valuation and Commercial services team and is a specialist residential valuer, property surveyor and will lead a small team of valuation/commercial officers. The team and therefore this post are responsible for the valuation of council housing stock, the valuation of property and land and the management of the commercial property portfolio of the Housing Revenue Account and the Housing General Fund.
The team currently comprises a mix of residential valuers and commercial officers. There is a need to train and support new staff and to plan for the future with regards to the development of valuation and surveying staff.
The purpose of this job is to manage PCC assets cost-effectively and uphold quality tenant relationships. This includes:
- Leading and carrying out property and land valuations for a range of residential and non-residential properties in a portfolio worth over £2billion. This includes Red Book style valuations, Right-to-Buy valuations, buy-back valuations, development appraisals and valuations for financial statements
- Negotiation of complex leases, property sales and resolving management issues with leaseholders and tenants
- Dealing with complex leasehold disposals, sales and reviews which create income for PCC
- Providing expert and specialist surveying advice across the portfolio of PCC assets
- Managing and advising on acquisitions, disposals and lease restructures, including the day-to-day management of the portfolio. This includes lettings, lease renewals, rent reviews and various landlord and tenant work
- Undertaking the business-critical annual statutory valuation of the HRA housing stock in accordance with legislative guidelines.
Aspects of the role require someone recognised as an expert in their field. The role has a major influence on policy, strategy and operational matters. It is expected that recommendations about strategic objectives will be made.
The role works with a range of internal and external stakeholders. Internally you may be working with colleagues in commercial property, leasehold services, the planning department and legal services. Externally you may work with external partners, commercial organisations and other local authorities.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have experience of working in a complex, large scale organisation
- Be able to balance the professional role with the line management responsibilities for the team.
- Be a professionally qualified residential/commercial valuation surveyor, with MRICS status or an experienced Associate of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors. RICS Residential Building Survey and Valuation qualifications are essential along with the ability to work across general practice surveying fields.
- Have experience of managing a large property portfolio and undertaking annual statutory asset and stock valuations is essential.
The role requires experience and knowledge of:
- building pathology and dilapidations
- building and land management
- professional measurement methods
- property and planning legislation
- various complex RICS approved valuation methods
- Right to Buy best practice and current legislation
- property types and constructions (including historic, listed, non-traditional and modern builds)
You will be comfortable working autonomously and exercising your professional judgement in making decisions. You will have experience of doing this in sensitive situations and working with other specialist colleagues, for example in legal and housing teams.
You will have experience of writing complex reports and presenting them to senior managers, elected members and commercial partners. You will also need to have an understanding of stock valuations is essential as this is a high profile task.
You will be proficient in using IT systems including Microsoft Office applications, property management systems and Geographic Information Systems.
You will be supported to maintain your CPD and to meet PCC and RICS requirements and legislation.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.