Portsmouth is a great waterfront city with a bright future. Over the coming years the council's aim is to support the city to recover and renew following the coronavirus pandemic. We’re doing that by delivering the core services our residents depend on, as well as playing our part in achieving the city vision by working with our partners and communities to tackle health, social and economic inequalities.
Portsmouth City Council has an exciting opportunity for a talented professional with experience across marketing, communications and engagement to develop and deliver creative and engaging campaigns for our housing, neighbourhood and building services directorate.
The post holder will be part of the centralised marketing and corporate communications team but will need to forge strong working relationships with stakeholders across housing and neighbourhoods services. You will deliver a range of marketing campaigns and communications activity, including overseeing the delivery of an integrated marketing, communications and engagement strategy for the directorate, as well as producing promotional collateral and content for press, social media and digital channels. The post will also manage proactive and reactive communications to explain council policies and changes to services along with overseeing the production of the directorate's award-winning tenant magazine, House Talk.
This post will have a very varied workload, leading on campaigns to support housing tenants, community centres and adventure playgrounds, as well as having an essential role to play in internal communications for the service. The post holder will also line manage two marketing officers, leading them by example and developing their skills.
The marketing and communications team provides the council with a full marketing communications service, managing media relations, marketing, graphic design and internal communications, producing a range of publications and campaigns, maintaining the council's brand and corporate identity, and taking responsibility for producing content for the web and social media.
We're currently working remotely but as we start to return to the office you will spend time in the council's civic offices headquarters, in the heart of Portsmouth's city centre, and will also be expected to visit other offices around Portsmouth and Havant.
As well as managing over 17,000 properties in Portsmouth and Havant, the Housing Neighbourhood and Building Services directorate is responsible for community-based facilities, including adventure playgrounds and community centres, waste and recycling, community safety and provides a range of services to manage the estates and support some of the city's most vulnerable residents.
What is the role?
This role will be responsible for managing all marketing, communications and engagement activities for the housing, neighbourhood and building services directorate, including developing communications strategies and campaigns, producing creative marketing materials, providing effective proactive and reactive media management and crisis communications, producing housing's tenant/leaseholder magazine, engaging stakeholders and delivering internal communications for staff.
This post is responsible for managing two marketing officers.
The post will also make a contribution to the council’s corporate communications, including acting as duty media officer as part of a team rota, and taking part in a 24/7 emergency on-call rota.
Who is the person?
We are looking for an excellent all-round marketing communications professional who combines a range of skills and experience delivering marketing, PR and social marketing, with enthusiasm and creativity, and the desire to make a real difference to the wellbeing and lives of our residents.
What you must have:
• You will have a degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area and/or appropriate professional qualification (for example CIM or CIPR) and proven experience in communications, PR or marketing
• significant proven experience in communications, PR or marketing.
• You will have proven experience managing marketing and communications for an organisation, project or service, including producing strategies, developing propositions and planning campaigns.
• You will have experience of providing high quality proactive and reactive media management for diverse and sensitive topics, including managing crisis communications.
• You will have experience of using robust and inclusive engagement approaches to capture and amplify the voice of the customer.
• You will be able to demonstrate your ability to develop, plan and deliver clear targeted communications campaigns that meet SMART objectives.
• You will have knowledge and experience of social marketing and market research, and you’ll be able to demonstrate the use of sound research in your work.
• You will have excellent evaluation skills and will be confident demonstrating that your work delivers results against objectives.
• You will be able to show experience of managing direct engagement with local communities, ensuring residents are well-informed, using a range of hands-on engagement methods, from events and roadshows to social media.
• You will have experience using digital marketing channels including social media, email marketing and websites to deliver communications objectives.
• You will have the confidence and ability to work with people at all levels, including residents, senior managers and councillors, demonstrating the ability to negotiate and adapt your approach accordingly.
• You will be able to demonstrate leadership at all levels, with the ability to manage a small team.
• You will have excellent time management skills, including the ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise a hefty workload.
• You will be committed to ongoing personal development.