Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) is passionate about providing high quality services to our communities, residents and businesses and this means we need to employ and retain the most talented and dedicated people. Situated within the heart of the Cambridge-Peterborough Growth Area, Huntingdonshire is a beautiful district that boasts thriving market towns and many attractive villages, each with its own identity. We are an innovative and forward-thinking Local Authority whose residents are at the heart of our decision making.
About the role
Our Development Management Service is a key team for us. Reporting directly into the Chief Operating Officer this post will be vital in taking this team forward. You’ll be leading a substantial planning team and supported by Team Leaders drawn from each of the key service areas within Development Management, Planning Enforcement, Conservation and Environment and Planning Administration. You’ll also play your part in the wider corporate landscape – working in projects and initiatives that will make a difference to our customers and your colleagues. This role will work with Strategic Growth, Directors, Politicians and other teams who are working to make Huntingdonshire a great place to live, work and invest in.
The role offers you the chance to get hands on in planning matters for the benefit of our District. You’d expect that, but it will also stretch you in developing our team. A future that shows increased productivity, better career pathways for our talented team and genuine innovation will be things that excite and challenge you.
You’ll be a highly motivated individual who:
- enjoys working in planning. You will want to leave a positive legacy in the District and play your role in shaping our place for the benefit of our communities
- when you need to play your part at a senior level on key planning matters, you’ll be able to make decisions, demonstrating your professional competency and credibility to all stakeholders
- can develop a team who are capable, confident and able to continuously improve. In doing this you’ll be someone who can delegate, empower and enable your team. Has an eye for opportunity, can maximise income from the service and enable innovation
- can work with other teams to maximise the impact they can have on your service, whether that’s colleagues in Transformation, Finance, HR or the wider team who are working on the Place Agenda in Huntingdonshire. You won’t be on your own, you’ve got lots of support to help you achieve your objectives
- is capable and confident talking to politicians. You will have direct access to a Portfolio Holder for your service area – so you’ll have a voice right at the top of the organisation.
About us and what we offer you
Huntingdonshire offers a lot. Our values matter to us. We want to employ staff who embody our icare values (Inspiring, Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Enterprising) all of which support our purpose of putting customers first. When we talk to you, expect us to explore how you deliver these values – so we can be sure you’ll fit with what we are delivering!
We’ve got a great team. Like many we’ve faced some tough times recently but we are emerging and are looking for the right candidate to help us continue our progression. You’ll be seeing further recruitment into this team, and, in the next few weeks we’ll be pushing out to complete the management group and you’ll help build your team. You will have freedom to act, you will be supported and if you are interested in progressing further in your career then we’d love to support your longer-term ambitions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal discussion or further information about the post.
We anticipate that interviews will be held the week commencing 1 November 2021.
To apply for this position please complete the application form and email it to email@example.com.
Please note that the official closing date is as above and will be the correct date. Some third party websites may have different dates so please always refer to the HDC website for the official closing date to ensure you do not miss out on applying.