Here at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) we have a new part time opportunity for a Legal Clerk to join our Legal Services team which aims to give the best possible legal and insurance service to the Council. As an organisation we have a simple goal - to deliver the best possible services to the people of West Sussex. We do this through the people who work for us, so it's paramount to us to ensure that our employees are supported and valued.
To find out more information on WSCC and our services please visit our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: £20,092 - £20,493 per annum (£13,575 - £13,846 pro-rated)
Working Pattern: Part - Time (25 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
In this role you will provide a range of legal support to the People Services team within Legal Services. Your duties will include the organisation of case files, handling and preparing court related documents and court process management. The role also involves supporting fee earning members of the team.
The job has some direct responsibility for handling and processing legal information where concentration, care, accuracy and confidentiality are important. You will also be required to prepare legal documents for distribution, and be required to sit for periods whilst taking notes during meetings.
Experience and Skills
Ideally you will have experience within an administrative role. You must be able to work flexibly to meet the demands of this fast-paced team.
You will have relevant or organisational knowledge of systems, procedures and policies associated with operating an administrative service, and excellent knowledge of IT and related systems / procedures. You will be a strong team player.
You will have the ability to organise your own workload, taking initiative and prioritising work as required. You will be able to respond to unexpected situations, for example, responding to a change of court date at short notice.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
- Excellent organisational skills to facilitate meeting set deadlines for preparing court bundles and serving court related papers.
- Excellent keyboard skills in order to work with precision to accurately prepare court bundles and type complex letters and statement prepared by solicitors.
- Ability to communicate effectively with witnesses, solicitors, barristers and members of the public as required.
- Good written communication skills to manage the preparation of court related papers and open and maintain case files.
- Analytical and judgmental skills to effectively deal with arranging court cases, meetings and effectively handle case related calls from clients, courts and external parties.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- 4 GCSEs with A-C passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification.
- Knowledge of procedures and practices associated with operating an administrative or legal clerk service.
- Good working knowledge of IT systems / procedures.
- Level 2 OCR (RSA) or equivalent qualification - Desirable
- Specific demonstrable experience in document drafting and word processing to a good level.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to generous annual leave, as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is CRS00516.
Closing Date: Sunday 17 October 2021.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.