Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our Imported Food Team at London Heathrow Airport. As an Environmental Health Technical Officer you will be responsible for assisting the Environmental Health Officers and Official Veterinarians in a wide range of enforcement work, ensuring that the highest standards are maintained in relation to the importation of food and feed.
On a day to day basis you will be examining consignments containing a variety of foodstuffs to verify that they comply with Domestic import controls, in order to keep our borders safe.
Ideally you will have a background in food safety, and a knowledge of imported food controls which will enable you to quickly become an effective member of the team.
More importantly, you will have experience in providing excellent customer care and exceptional communication skills as you will be required to provide advice to people travelling into the UK, importers and other local authorities.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.