DEPARTMENT: PRIVATE SECTOR HOUSING & LICENSING
JOB TITLE: ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH [ENFORCEMENT] OFFICER
Would you like to be part of one of the most ambitious property licensing teams in London?
- Exciting and challenging work environment – lots of variety and opportunities to stretch your capabilities
- Career progression – we provide training and courses to help you improve your potential
- One of the highest pay levels in London – we offer a market supplement on the standard pay scales to ensure good staff are rewarded for the work they do
- A range of staff benefits, from flexible working and a tax-free bike scheme to discounts in stores and interest-free travel loans.
We’re looking to recruit three permanent Environmental Health Enforcement Officers to support the Council’s private sector housing enforcement and licensing functions which includes those relating to Selective Licensing. Waltham Forest is designated as a Selective Licensing area and was one of the first Councils to adopt and use powers to impose financial penalties as an alternative to prosecution proceedings.
The appointed officers will have a relevant Environmental Health qualification and it is desirable that they have at least 1 years’ experience in regulating standards in the Private Rented Sector to include experience in the following areas.
- Inspecting private dwellings under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) including HMO’s,
- Processing HMO licence applications,
- Preparing notices relating to the Housing Act 2004 and other Environmental Health legislation,
- Preparing witness statements for Civil Penalty, appeal, and prosecution bundles.
The applicant will display a commitment to strong enforcement actions using the full range of available powers. Displaying excellent verbal and written communication skills, and flexibility in working patterns and practices. The successful candidate will play a central role in the delivery of housing enforcement and licensing objectives.
Appointed officers will ensure that all aspects of commerciality are fully integrated into their day to day role as a front-line field officer.
We are looking for a motivated and dedicated officer with a demonstrable commitment to top quality regulatory services, with relevant qualifications and experience.
The Council will offer appropriate support to successful candidates in their professional development.
About Waltham Forest
The London Borough of Waltham Forest is fiercely ambitious. In 2019 the Council was named as the first London Borough of Culture and held a vast array of events. We want to make sure each and every one of our residents enjoy a quality life in London. The council has an attractive range of staff benefits:
- flexible working options
- season ticket and travel card loans
- help with managing your finances and access to an employee Credit Union
- discounted gym membership at GLL leisure centres in the borough
- discount at local bars and restaurants
- help with well-being including access to an employee assistance programme
Join our plans for growth
We have a hugely ambitious growth agenda and pride ourselves on being forward thinking and an organisation that sets high expectations. We are working with partners to secure investment in making our borough a better place, are progressing with plans to build at least 12,000 new homes and have an ambitious £5million digital programme, with more investment to come.
Be part of the vision
Our aim is that every single Waltham Forest resident enjoys a good quality life. We have a no-nonsense approach to getting things done and are embarking on a new phase in our transformation where three key priorities will underpin our ‘Creating Futures’ strategy:
- Keep Waltham Forest clean and safe
- Ensure a decent roof over residents’ heads
- Improve residents’ life chances.
Waltham Forest is a diverse borough where diversity is valued and is integral to both, service delivery and employment of its staff. The Council is proud of its rich mix of communities and as the largest employer in the area, it works hard to respond to the changing needs of its population.
We use our statutory duties on race, gender, and disability equality and best practice in respect of age, faith, and sexual orientation to ensure equality of opportunity in the workplace.
The Council is committed to meeting its 4 strategic outcomes contained within the Waltham Forest Council Equality Plan:
- Promoting equality of opportunity
- Opposing all forms of discrimination, intolerance and disadvantage
- Ensuring our workforce reflects the diverse communities of Waltham Forest at all levels
- Providing fair, appropriate, accessible, and excellent services to all.
Respecting Diversity is a core Council value.
How to apply
To apply, please complete the application form and submit it within the given deadline.
How to Apply
Application Information The councils preference is for on-line application forms. However if you have a disability and are unable to complete an on-line application, please ring 0208 496 4227 who will be able to arrange an alternative. For more information on how to complete your application form, follow this link: Applying for a job at Waltham Forest Council
Click here for further information on the Human Resources recruitment privacy notice.