We’re looking to recruit an enthusiastic Senior Empty Homes Officer to reduce the number of empty homes in the borough and to support the Council’s Private Sector Housing Enforcement and Licensing team.
The successful candidate will lead on identifying and taking the most appropriate action on empty home owners and help develop and implement a robust approach to tackling empty homes in the borough.
- Develop the Empty Homes scheme – to review and develop processes which utilise the knowledge and skills across the council to help tackle empty homes
- Financial Responsibilities – involvement in ensuring that the services’ financial records are kept up to date, responsibility for ensuring all spend is recorded accurately and financial risks are identified and flagged to the Head of Service.
What we seek in you
- At least one year’s experience in a role with relevant responsibilities at an appropriate level.
- An ability to plan, prioritise and organise in order to meet deadlines.
- Experience of developing new services
- Experience of serving enforcement notices
- An understanding of Empty Homes and the relevant legislation including Empty Dwelling Management Orders and Compulsory Purchase Orders
- Understanding of private sector renting in a public and private sector setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to build up good relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- A flexible, adaptable approach is essential.
- Experience in using IT systems such as excel and Microsoft word.
The appointed officer will display excellent verbal and written communication skills, and flexibility in working patterns and practices, the successful candidate will play a central role in the delivery of housing enforcement and licensing objectives.
Appointed officers will ensure that all aspects of commerciality are fully integrated into their day to day role as a front-line field officer.
We are looking for a motivated and dedicated officer with a demonstrable commitment to top quality regulatory services, with relevant qualifications and/or experience
The Council will offer appropriate support to successful candidates in their professional development
About Waltham Forest
The London Borough of Waltham Forest is fiercely ambitious. We want to make sure each and every one of our residents enjoys a quality life in London. The council has an attractive range of staff benefits:
- flexible working options
- season ticket and travel card loans
- help with managing your finances and access to an employee Credit Union
- discounted gym membership at GLL leisure centres in the borough
- discount at local bars and restaurants
- help with well-being including access to an employee assistance programme
Join our plans for growth
We have a hugely ambitious growth agenda and pride ourselves on being forward thinking and an organisation that sets high expectations. We are working with partners to secure investment in making our borough a better place, are progressing with plans to build new homes, and have an ambitious £5million digital programme, with more investment to come.
Be part of the vision
Our aim is that every single Waltham Forest resident enjoys a good quality life. We have a no-nonsense approach to getting things done and are embarking on a new phase in our transformation where three key priorities will underpin our ‘Creating Futures’ strategy:
- Keep Waltham Forest clean and safe
- Ensure a decent roof over residents’ heads
- Improve residents’ life chances.
Waltham Forest is a diverse borough where diversity is valued and is integral to both, service delivery and employment of its staff. The Council is proud of its rich mix of communities and as the largest employer in the area, it works hard to respond to the changing needs of its population.
We use our statutory duties on race, gender and disability equality and best practice in respect of age, faith and sexual orientation to ensure equality of opportunity in the workplace.
The Council is committed to meeting its 4 strategic outcomes contained within the Waltham Forest Council Equality Plan:
• Promoting equality of opportunity
• Opposing all forms of discrimination, intolerance and disadvantage
• Ensuring our workforce reflects the diverse communities of Waltham Forest at all levels
• Providing fair, appropriate, accessible and excellent services to all.
Respecting Diversity is a core Council value.
How to apply
To apply, please complete the application form and submit within the given deadline
Closing date: 16th July 2021
Interview Date: w/c 26th July 2021