Hours: 37 hours per week / negotiable
North Somerset Council has an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual who is graduated in Civil Engineering and has experience in Structural Engineering Design and Construction.
North Somerset Council is a forward-thinking authority using the latest Highway Structures maintenance techniques to manage its network and you will play a key role in this essential function.
Typical duties will include:
- Lead on the delivery of capital schemes structural designs, as well as providing support to the Team Manager, within a team, on various design and maintenance duties including:
- Planning, programming, and cost estimation.
- Carrying out site surveys, inspections and supervision of construction sites.
- Preparing technical reports such as, Approval in Principle (AIP), Feasibility/Options Report, Inspection/Assessment Reports, and other technical documents.
- All aspects of structures design and assessment.
- Reviewing design drawings.
- Production of works specifications.
- Proficiency in production of construction drawings using AutoCAD.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards such as, Eurocodes, DMRB, and other relevant national standards.
- Planning, organising required consents from relevant stakeholders such as Network Rail and Environmental Agency, and delivering annual Principal Inspections (PI’s) to the highway structures, mainly Bridges.
- Working with external consultants and providing technical support to other internal project teams.
Our assets which mainly comprise of bridges, retaining walls and culverts play a sometimes unseen but essential role in the lives of residents, business and visitors alike.
The post holder should be educated to a minimum Degree level (BEng or equivalent) in Civil Engineering.
Your drive to progress will be rewarded with career development, an interesting and varied workload and a great working environment.
Whilst this is a full-time post, proposals around term-time only or part-time will also be considered, to take into consideration individual circumstances.
North Somerset council offers an average salary pension and flexible working hours to support a greater work life balance.
For an informal discussion, please contact Darren Gilbert, Head of Highway Technical Services or Chandan Bhumpelly, Highway Structures Team Manager on 07881267472 / 07776170223.
Anticipated interview date: To be confirmed
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.