Principal Planning Enforcement and Compliance Officer
Permanent, Full time 37 hours
RG7b (scp 33 – 36) £36,922 - £39,880
About the role
This post is an exciting opportunity for an experienced individual to supervise our small enforcement team working with the two existing team members.
Planning enforcement includes both responding to complaints about unauthorised development and pro-actively securing compliance with the terms of planning permissions.
You will need to implement and review the Council’s Enforcement Plan and work with the Planning Manager, the Development Management Team Leader, other regulatory service officers and the Council’s legal services.
Reading Borough Council offers more than just your next job. It’s a place where you can shape your career. And we will ensure that you have every opportunity available to you to progress, if that’s what you want. That means regular performance appraisals and feedback from your line manager, supporting you to develop your skills and experience.
Reading is a vibrant town subject to considerable development growth but that brings with it a large planning enforcement case load.
- You will have experience of working in a local government enforcement role with a proven record of drafting and serving of Stop Notices, Injunctions, enforcement notices, planning contravention notices, breach of condition notices and S215 Notices.
- Experience of collecting evidence (including the preparation of witness statements) and interviewing under caution (RIPA/PACE etc.)
- Experience of writing and presenting reports to Planning Committee.
- You will be comfortable promoting an effective corporate role for the planning enforcement service at meetings of corporate working groups and with councillors, and also outside organisations.
- Managerial/ supervisory experience is required for this position as you will be supervising the team and ensuring that planning enforcement investigations and compliance checks are carried out effectively.
- You will carry out one to one’s, team meetings and appraisals of staff within the team.
The Planning Section is looking for someone who embodies the “Team Reading” approach by being:
A Team worker, leading and being a part of our Enforcement and Compliance service,
Enthusiastic and motivated by the world of planning enforcement and compliance matters so can drive the enforcement service forward.
Ambitious to aim high to support the Planning Service and Reading,
Able to Make a difference to Reading by helping to look after and improve the environment and well-being of our residents and visitors
You put a lot in to your job. We believe you should get a lot back. A career at Reading Borough Council comes with a lot more than just a monthly salary. You can make the most of our flexible working arrangements, helping you to balance the demands of your home life with those of the workplace. And if the demands of home include looking after very little people, you’ll be pleased to know that we have an onsite nursery that is rated as Outstanding by Ofsted. We also offer generous holiday entitlement that allows staff to benefit from 24 days’ holiday each year plus bank holidays. And your holiday entitlement rises to 32 days after 10 years’ service!
Our benefits include a competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 26th September 2021
Interview Date: TBC
Interview format: Question & answer panel interview based on Job Description (3 panel members)
There will be a written test
The interview will be for (interview 45 mins – test 30 mins)
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success