Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
New opportunities have arisen recently to join our busy and growing Development Management Team, who are at the forefront of delivering the significant expansion of Milton Keynes. Already an experienced planner and potentially looking to take on more complex caseloads, you will lead a range of planning applications, including Pre-applications, Prior Notification applications, Post-decision applications, appeals (including Minerals and Waste proposals) and undertake general Development Management duties for the Council.
- To ensure planning and other applications are professionally assessed and recommendations are made with due regard to all relevant legislation, guidance and policies in order to meet the key objectives of the Council.
- To ensure high quality design and development and liaise with other Council Departments/Council Officers and other external organisations in order to assist in the provision of effective Development Management.
- To assist in providing a Development Management Service and advice to Members of the Council, other Council Departments, developers, local residents, general public, the business community, Parish Councils, other statutory bodies and stakeholders on development issues.
- To represent the Council at public meetings (including Parish/Town Council meetings), working groups and other external meetings as appropriate to give expert advice on Planning/Development Management issues
- To assist the Head of Planning and Development Management Manager in order to meet National and Local Development Management targets
- To prepare written representation cases for planning appeals to ensure that the best possible case is put forward in support of the Council’s decision and represent the Council at hearings/Inquiries when required
- To analyse, negotiate and project manage sometimes major/complex development proposals and planning cases including Environmental Impact Assessments and negotiating Section 106 contributions as necessary
- Prepare and present reports based on professional knowledge and expertise on planning and other applications to councillors and the public at Development Control Committee and Panel Meetings
- To independently manage the paid pre-application process and to provide a professional response in accordance with the Council’s agreed terms of service
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Education to Degree level or equivalent in planning or a related subject with a post Graduate (or equivalent) qualification in planning
- Working towards becoming a Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute with at least two years post graduate experience in a Town Planning role with direct experience of Development Management and dealing with Planning Applications
- A good knowledge of town planning legislation
- Able to prioritise own workload to meet deadlines; can communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to use computer systems and database to manage case files
- Able to develop effective working relationships
- Good communicator with the ability to work in potentially confrontational or emotive situations with tact and understanding
- Able to work alone using initiative; ability to interpret legislation and complex decisions to inform and support recommendations
Departmental Benefits of this role
- This is a home based role and if suitable then you will be supported with a home worker IT package to take advantage of our Flexible Working policy.