Salary: £25,991 - £28,672
Working Pattern: Full-time
Contract: External secondment for 2.5 years
Location: Worthing, Horsham or Bognor (Location flexible, role requires countywide travel)
An exciting opportunity has arisen to support a multi-award winning, sustainable social enterprise, The Skill Mill, providing paid employment opportunities to some of our most vulnerable adolescents.
The Skill Mill directly employ young people aged 16-18 supervised by the Youth Justice Service, with the aim of reducing reoffending whilst increasing engagement, participation, employability and education of young people to increase their life chances. This role will be hosted within West Sussex Youth Justice Service and supervision will be from The Skill Mill Ltd.
As the Skill Mill Coordinator, you will be responsible for directly supervising the work of a small group of young people as they undertake the assigned work. This will involve environmental projects, construction or landscaping and in all weather conditions each day across West Sussex. You will drive and direct the delivery of the Skill Mill service, including the work programme, and maintain relationships with private companies who are providing the work that trainees will be undertaking.
This role will involve working across the county as you will be required to drive the young people to their placements and work alongside them. You may also be required, by the needs of the service, to work outside of normal office hours.
Experience and Skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to explain information to others and use negotiation and persuasion skills to influence the actions of others.
- Good literacy and numeracy and sound IT skills; able to present information clearly, concisely, accurately and in ways to promote understanding.
- Able to motivate and encourage adolescents to access opportunities by identifying any barriers to learning and employment and supporting them to overcome these.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to prioritise your workload to effectively respond to unanticipated problems, whilst recognising the limit of your own accountability and responsibility and when to seek appropriate support, advice and supervision.
- Good practical skills and ability to break down tasks in order to upskill young people.
- Able to develop and maintain relationships with new and perspective partners and seek out new opportunities for service development.
Qualifications and experience:
- Experience of working with adolescents with often high and complex levels of need. (e.g. Children's Services, Police, probation, schools, criminal justice, youth work).
- Experience of carrying out assessments.
- Experience of working towards and achieving improved outcomes for young people.
- Experience of preparing reports to support senior managers provide advice to strategic leadership teams.
- Experience of working in a multi-agency setting.
- Experience of outside project work / practical skills.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do. For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, please visit our website.
The reference number for this role is CAFHE03304.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. An enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and a health check. You must be able to travel throughout the county including to locations that are not always accessible by public transport.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please visit our website.