About The Job
Salary: £32,910 - £35,645 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: County Hall, Chichester
Interview date: 08 December 2021
As the Senior Engineer, you will be responsible for delivering technical solutions and supporting sustainable communities through the co-ordination, implementation and promotion of key objectives within the County. You will be working with engineering and highway colleagues and contractors to deliver the Works Programme effectively and efficiently.
This role will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of engineering solutions which are sustainable and appropriate to the risk, budget and technical need. There will be some interaction with members of the public, for example, dealing with customer complaints and queries. There will also be a requirement to wear personal protective equipment whilst carrying out regular site visits, which may also involve carrying equipment.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to identify problems and resolve issues independently, particularly when attending site inspections or investigations, planning solutions and making sound pragmatic decisions which will have an impact on the service.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to seek and introduce continuous improvement and innovation, for self and team.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills in order to prepare reports/briefs, programmes of work, undertake research and maintain budgets/accounts.
- Sound analytical and judgemental skills to analyse and interpret varied and complex technical data/information, situations and surveys and develop solutions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to provide complex, technical specialist advice and guidance to a range of audiences, including non- specialists. Create and maintain effective working relationships and influence the behaviour and conduct of colleagues to ensure the highest level of service.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- BTEC HNC level or degree, Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or post graduate qualification within the specialist area or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of advanced applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- Relevant membership of a professional body e.g. Chartered or Incorporated Engineer - Desirable
- Experience working in a highways or water-related industry.
- Knowledge or experience in level surveying - Desirable
- Detailed and thorough knowledge of relevant highways and transportation standards and procedures, including a broad understanding of civil engineering design and construction procedures, techniques and statutory procedures.
- Relevant advanced theoretical or organisational knowledge of systems, procedures and policies associated with operating a demanding and customer focussed service.
- Political awareness when working with members/senior management.
- Sound and accurate IT knowledge e.g. use of Engineering databases / software and Microsoft Office, in order to carry out service-related processes.
- Demonstrable evidence of applying specialist knowledge and providing advice in relation to specific specialist area.
- Experience of delivering a high-quality maintenance and repair service within a Highways context, meeting objectives and indicators, and dealing with safety issues in a prompt, prioritised and appropriate manner.
- Demonstrable evidence of managing an effective, efficient, professional and quality service to a range of customers and clients.
- Experience of managing and monitoring budgets or projects for a specific service within a specialist, technical service.
- Full current driver's licence in order to carry out driven inspections or attend meetings which are across the county.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 26 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00855 .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
This post is subject to satisfactory references, health check.