The salary range for this role is £45,734 to £51,725 per annum based on a 36 hour working week.
At Surrey County Council, within our Property team, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a qualified Senior Solicitor or Lawyer. We are looking for a flexible and motivated colleague to join this friendly and committed team.
As a Senior Solicitor you will play an active role in the management of the team and will deputise for the Principal Solicitor alongside actively contributing to the future delivery of first class legal services. Our Legal Services is Lexcel accredited.
The person appointed to this post will be expected to provide quality proactive legal advice across a broad range of property (and related) issues including but not limited to Landlord and Tenant matters, acquisitions, disposals, Commons and Village Greens (training to be provided) and will be expected to have conduct of a full, varied and demanding caseload of property matters including projects.
Who we are looking for:
- A skilled, commercial property lawyer with substantial experience of the law and practice in this area. You will also have some experience of managing and supervising people.
- An effective and dynamic individual who is able to motivate others, who is comfortable both leading and working in a team and is able to work to challenging priorities and achieve clear outcomes.
- You will be working as part of a team of property lawyers to provide advice across a broad range of legal property issues to support the Council in the provision of its services.
You will clearly demonstrate that you have good experience in the relevant areas of law and the following skills and abilities:
- Negotiating terms of documentation such as leases, licences, development agreements, overage and transfers;
- Providing solutions-focused and enabling advice on a range of (mainly commercial property) matters and an ability to learn quickly about subjects in which you may not have had any prior experience;
- Effective team working;
- Undertaking and leading at client and project meetings;
- Advising Members and Senior Officer of the Council;
- Managing competing priorities to achieve client deadlines;
- Exemplary client care and organisational skills; and
- Assisting with management and supervision of at least one member of the team.
The generic role profile for lawyers of this level is attached to this advert. Please note that advocacy will not form part of this role.
The team is supportive and knowledgeable and there is a commitment to development and training our in-house talent and support for training to cover new areas of practice.
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.
For more information please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application. We also invite you to read our Life at Surrey handbook to see insights of the culture at Surrey and how as a valued employee, you can help shape our Council.Additional Information
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 15th September 2021
Interviews will take place in the week commencing 20th September 2021
Our administrative base is located in Reigate, we also have an office in Weybrdge where our Support Team are based, however, the Council adopts an agile working policy so we are able to provide flexibility in terms of where you work from.
For an informal discussion contact Kate Patel on 0208 541 9113 or by e-mail at Kate.Patel@surreycc.gov.uk.
We look forward to receiving your application.
We are committed to providing a healthy work life balance with flexible and remote working options available. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.