Full time 37 hours
£27,041 - £29,577
RG5b (22 – 25)
Following a restructure Reading Borough Council have created an Executive Assistant team. The team works with the Chief and Deputy Chief Executive, Executive Directors and Assistant Directors, who cover a wide range of services across the council from Digital Transformation to Environment and Adult Social Care. If you have similar experience, then that’s great and we’d love to hear from you, but we recognise working in local government is so diverse, so what matters most to us is your positive problem-solving attitude and the collaborative way you work!
This is an opportunity to join a friendly and supportive team who work together in a complex fast paced environment to assist Executive and Assistant directors to manage their time, priorities and focus effectively. No two days are the same and you will work with a broad range of stakeholders on a variety of activities.
About the role
The team of 9 Executive Assistants report to the Executive Assistant Team Leader.
This is a new Team, and we are on a journey of continuous improvement, adopting new digital tools to make yours and your Director's life easier, looking for opportunities to improve processes and working across the council to influence ways of working in those teams as well.
Duties & responsibilities:
- To provide comprehensive and proactive assistance to a named member(s) of the Corporate Management Team and the wider Senior Leadership Team across a range of tasks.
- Provide comprehensive diary management; organisation of meetings, conferences, travel arrangements, managing conflicts as appropriate.
- To effectively organise their time based on current service priorities and corporate deadlines.
- Regular monitoring of inboxes to categorise and/or file, flag priorities, delegate and action as appropriate.
- Using initiative to; assess and prioritise incoming requests and enquiries, deflect and/or signpost and/or delegate to others on the director’s behalf. This includes dealing with key external and internal stakeholders.
- To use initiative in resolving issues and proactively identify service improvements, making recommendations to improve working practices with consideration for individuals’ requirements and best practice.
- You will provide excellent customer service, build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders on behalf of your Director.
- You have highly developed interpersonal skills & the ability to deal with challenging situations with resilience, diplomacy and discretion whilst maintaining strict confidentiality.
- You are naturally solutions-focused; can assess and evaluate enquiries, situations and issues for appropriate priority and action. With a demonstrable ability to progress through to resolution. The role requires a high degree of self-motivation and initiative, often working under pressure with minimal supervision.
- You have exceptional planning & organisational skills, managing conflicting priorities to meet deadlines within a complex, fast paced environment.
- Your strong IT skills will also mean that you look for new ways to automate tasks and improve efficiencies within the Executive Assistant team, your Director’s immediate work and their wider team.
If you tick these boxes, then we really want to hear from you!
Skills and Experiences
- IT Literate – Office365 including MS Teams, SharePoint, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Corporate shared systems.
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise and work to short deadlines
- Experience of office-based administration, working in a complex and changing environment.
- Uses initiative appropriately to assess and prioritise tasks.
- Complex diary and email management, on behalf of another.
- End to end event and meeting management.
- Effectively organising self and others operating at a senior level.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you will get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities such as working from home
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Closing date: 26th Sept
Interview Date: w/c 4th October
Please note that we will be running a group exercise as part of the interview process. It will be in our Covid safe Civic offices in Reading. We will give you a weeks’ notice to arrange your diary.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.