About the role
The way we deliver health and social care in Portsmouth is changing. We’re facing extraordinary challenges - but have the opportunity to build a system that works now and in the future.
Portsmouth City Council has an exciting opportunity for an exceptional corporate communications officer to work in the Health and Care Portsmouth marketing, communications and engagement function.
The post holder will be responsible for effective engagement of internal and external stakeholders and will be as comfortable out and about talking to people in the community as you are providing strategic advice to senior managers around a boardroom table.
Working with teams across Portsmouth City Council and NHS Portsmouth Clinical Commissioning Group, as well as other organisations across the health, social care and voluntary sectors, the corporate communications officer will help protect and enhance the programme's reputation through effective media management, internal communications and stakeholder engagement.
The corporate communications officer will also help manage communications in an emergency or crisis situation, including participating in a 24/7 on-call rota and ensuring effective liaison with partner organisations.
About the service
The Health and Care Portsmouth marketing, communications and engagement function is hosted by Portsmouth City Council, but works across the major health and social care commissioners and providers supporting organisational change. Key partners include Portsmouth City Council, NHS Portsmouth Clinical Commissioning Group, Solent NHS Trust, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust and Portsmouth Primary Care Alliance, as well as the city's vibrant voluntary, community and social enterprise sector, through HIVE Portsmouth.
The council's award-winning marketing and communications team provides the council with a full marketing communications service, managing media relations, marketing, graphic design and internal communications, producing a range of publications and campaigns, maintaining the council's brand and corporate identity, and taking responsibility for web/social media.
The marketing and communications team is based in the council’s civic offices headquarters in the centre of Portsmouth, but is currently working remotely.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference.
Responsibilities of the role
- Protect and enhance the reputation of the council, the CCG, primary care providers (GPs), and other partners through effective day to day communications and media management, including developing and implementing media management and communications plans, preparing media releases and statements and preparing media and stakeholder briefings.
- Advise senior officers, elected members and external clients on media and communications issues.
- Manage communications in an emergency or crisis situation, including liaising with partner organisations and participating in a 24/7 on call rota.
Communications and engagement
- Develop and deliver effective, targeted communications and engagement campaigns, supported by market research and evaluated against clear objectives.
- Support the delivery of the overall marketing, communications and engagement strategy for the Health and Care Portsmouth programme.
- Manage and maintain key communications channels.
- Design and deliver stakeholder engagement campaigns for a range of audiences, including senior leaders, staff, patients, GP practices and partner agencies.
- Work closely with the council's internal communications officer and the Health and Care Portsmouth leadership team to ensure internal and external communications are effectively co-ordinated.
- Deliver excellent change management communications activity, particularly working with partner agencies to develop staff engagement to support the changes outlined in the government's white paper on the future organisation of the NHS.
Special conditions attached to the post
- The post holder will be required to take part in a 24/7 out-of-hours emergency on-call rota.
- The post holder will be expected to work outside normal office hours from time to time, including: to ensure communications and consultation events are staffed and managed, media enquiries are handled and to provide professional support in an emergency or crisis situation.
Who is the person?
We are looking for an outstanding individual who combines a wide range of skills and experience across communications and engagement with particular experience around internal communications, media management and stakeholder engagement.
The post will be part of an integrated team, so will need to be collaborative and able to work closely with other specialists to deliver complex campaigns.
Adaptable, flexible and able to get up to speed quickly with the latest policy changes in the health and social care environment, the person delivering this work will need real passion and drive to deliver in this challenging area.
What you must have:
- You will have a degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area and/or appropriate professional qualification (for example CIM or CIPR) and proven experience in communications, PR or marketing
- significant proven experience in communications, PR or marketing.
- You will have proven experience developing and delivering a range of successful communications and engagement activities, including face-to-face communications, for a range of audiences from professional stakeholders to patients.
- You will been able to demonstrate your ability to develop, plan and deliver clear targeted communication and engagement campaigns that meet SMART objectives.
- You will have proven experience of effectively managing media relations, preferably including experience of crisis communications.
- You will be able to demonstrate your ability to develop and deliver a range of successful internal communications campaigns and channels, ideally supporting organisational change
- You will be able to demonstrate the use of sound research in your work.
- You will have excellent evaluation skills and will be confident demonstrating that your work delivers results against objectives.
- You’ll have the confidence and ability to work with people at all levels, demonstrating the ability to negotiate and adapt your approach accordingly.
- You’ll be able to demonstrate strong leadership, with the ability to work effectively as part of a team and deliver complex campaigns collaboratively.
- You will be an excellent writer, confident writing and producing a range of communications and marketing material, from corporate documents to colourful campaigns, and have the ability to write for multiple audiences in different formats, using various styles
- You will have excellent time management skills, including the ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise a hefty workload.
- You will be able to demonstrate professional leadership, being able to mentor and support your peers but also influence those in senior posts.
- A working knowledge of the NHS, particularly clinical commissioning groups, is desirable.