Making sure the road network operates as smoothly and efficiently as possible is a key service for WSCC. We know that engineering works must take place on our roads. That could be because an improvement is being built, a utility company needs to maintain their services, a developer needs to create a new junction, or an event is happening. Whatever it is, it's important that these works are properly planned, managed and carried out in a way that creates the least impact on other road users. This vital work is carried out by our Network Management team. So, if the thought of making sure people can get around without being confronted by delays appeals then we want to talk to you.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
Salary: £32,910 - £35,745 per annum
Working Pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week
Location: Durban House, Bognor Regis
Interview date: 28 / 29 September 2021
As the Senior Network Programme Coordinator, you will work within a forward-thinking network management team responsible for delivering duties under the Traffic Management Act 2004 for the expeditious movement of traffic on the highway network of West Sussex County Council and that of any neighbouring authorities. Drawing on your previous knowledge and skills you will look for continuous improvement and efficiencies within the team processes, being proactive in supporting new initiatives and practices.
You will support the promotion of any West Sussex initiatives and transport and traffic schemes including elements of the West Sussex Transport Plan. West Sussex hosts a significant number of events within the county, as the post holder you will be responsible for working closely with the organisers to ensure that their event is delivered safely and legally, whilst minimising the disruption to the highway network.
You will take a focus in one of two areas within the network management team, these being the Network Compliance Team or TTRO, Events and Technical Support Team. Supporting and training other members of the team, as well as colleagues from across the organisation and other stakeholders.
Where traffic regulation orders or notices for works or events are required you will ensure that full legal process is followed, and that interested parties are informed, and communication is prompt and accurate.
To do so you will ensure that utility companies and other persons under Permit and / or licence, carry out works on the public highway safely and in accordance with the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991, Traffic Management Act 2004, Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and West Sussex County Council Permit Scheme and other relevant legislation and council policy.
Experience and Skills
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with a range of customers and create effective working relationships.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills in order to analyse and interpret both technical and statistical data, write reports and letters.
- Sound and accurate IT skills including specialist software such as GIS. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint (or equivalent packages) for the integral use of word processing, data processing, report writing, creating enhanced presentations and maintaining computer databases at a high level.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate problems and resolve issues independently, planning solutions and make sound pragmatic decisions.
- Ability to organise/prioritise work, co-ordinate a variety of tasks and interpret works schedules in a clear and logical way and meet agreed deadlines which minimise the disruption to the business.
- Ability to interpret varied and complex information and legal regulation and guidance to produce a high-quality document with minimal guidance.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Educated to Diploma / A-Level standard, or equivalent qualification, or equivalent experience.
- Streetworks Supervisor / Operative Accreditation, or willing and able to work towards achieving accreditation upon appointment.
- Significant experience within Network Management or equivalent area, including an understanding of the way in which roads are built and maintained.
- Experience of working with the Traffic Management Act 2004, New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991 and health and Safety Legislation
- Experience of a coordinating role including traffic management, drawing together a range of activities.
- Experience of carrying out inspection work.
- Experience of effectively working / communicating with other agencies, stakeholders, members and members of the public.
Rewards and Benefits
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
Aside from 26 days annual leave, you will also have access to a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00849.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.