Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
To carry out general activities to support the effective functioning of the Civic Centre, including but not limited to opening and securing the premises each day, support of Council Business & Meetings, basic minor repairs and carry out basic maintenance of site infrastructure, assistance with compliance inspections, checking and replenishment of consumables across the site, waste management, specialised cleaning of the interior and exterior of the building, support of the cleaning teams, support access requirements and where appropriate supervise contractors, support office relocation works, decorating and remediation of reported Health & safety issues. The post holder will liaise with the Facilities Officer to report any repairs and maintenance issues including any Health and Safety or Security related concerns. The Post holder must be flexible and may be required to undertake work not listed above, such duties will however fall within the scope of the role. The post holder may be required to undertake technical training as well as First Aid training.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- To carry out all daily tasks including reactive and planned works as directed.
- To open and close the Civic Centre and The Woodville, supervise the early morning cleaners and assist with cleaning machine work, if required.
- To undertake checks of all office areas, including regular spot checks of staff kitchens and toilets including the public toilets. To deal with any reactive or emergency housekeeping or requests for emergency cleaning.
- To set up and prepare meeting rooms ensuring tea and coffee facilities are set up if required and meeting rooms are clear of debris and mess ahead of meeting start times.
- Regularly review cleaning materials, maintenance materials, tea and coffee supplies and to advise Facilities Officer when replacement stock is required.
- To attend to any emergency that arises within the Civic Centre and carry out temporary repairs where possible, meet and liaise with contractors if required.
- To carry out repair and maintenance tasks, including painting, replacing and installing fixtures and fittings, placement of poster sites, notice boards, unblocking toilets and sinks, etc.
- To ensure all corridors are kept clear from obstruction and are in a good state of repair.
- To check fire escapes and ensure that they are kept clear, clean and tidy and fire escape doors are fully functioning.
- To undertake check to the staircases and lifts on a daily basis.
- To actively participate in the weekly fire alarm and sprinkler test along side Property Services and report any found defects within the fire alarm log book.
- Carry out daily water outlet flushing as directed and in line with the flushing regime.
- Check entrances to the Civic Centre on a daily basis and carry out a litter pick-up and sweep, including the car park, staff entrances, ramp area and Community Square.
- When opening the Civic Centre to put out all signage, café tables and chairs (if the weather is fine).
- To review daily all hand-towels, toilet rolls, hand soaps, hand sanitisers, air fresheners and batteries in the kitchen and toilet facilities and replenish as required.
- To regularly check all floors for waste, cardboard, furniture etc. and remove as required.
- Assist with monitoring the recycling within the building and report where bins have been contaminated. Disposing of waste correctly.
- To regularly check lighting and to replace light bulbs and tubes as reported or observed when undertaking duties around the buildings.
- To move furniture or heavy loads as directed by Facilities Officer and assist with office or departmental moves as required.
- To assist with Contractor access to the Civic Centre.
- To assist with the removal of confidential waste and refuse from bins around the Civic Centre.
- To clean roof areas and keep all working areas, including the boiler room, maintenance stores and workshop clean and free from obstruction.
- To check the main refuse store daily keeping it organised, clean, tidy and accessible.
- In times of ice and snow to grit ramps and paths to the Civic Centre and on the Community Square and to assist with snow clearance as directed.
- To ensure all flags are stored correctly and displayed as requested by the Facilities Officer and/or Communities.
- To assist with moves or delivery of large parcels or bulky items to various departments as requested.
- Report any equipment faults, hazards, accidents or dangerous occurrences to the Facilities Officer and or Property Services.
- To carry a radio and works phone at all times when on duty so that contact can be made with colleagues, Property Services and the Facilities Officer. To assist during an emergency and to attend out of hours call outs in respect of security and fire.
- To undertake all training arranged, reasonable to position. First Aid training will be a requirement of the role.
- To execute workmanship to a high standard and ensure it is carried out in strict compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act, and any other relevant legislation covering safety in the workplace for self and others.
- To assist with the opening and closing of the Arts Centre located at St Georges and offer a caretaking service when required.
- Any other work as can be reasonably required for the smooth day to day running of the Civic Centre.
- Previous minor repairs, maintenance and cleaning experience.
- Sound practical skills, previous trade related skills desirable.
- Good communication skills.
- Good knowledge and understanding of COSHH and Health and Safety
- Experience of working individually and as part of a wider team
- Good understanding of manual handling and safe systems of work
- Ability to work unsupervised, alone using own initiative and as part of a team
- Full clean UK driving License
- First Aid qualification
- Technical qualifications
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Mark Clack on 07511 046201.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to Apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.