Portsmouth City Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
What is the purpose of Adult Social care from a service user perspective?
Help me, when I need it, to live the life I want to live
Why work at Shearwater
Are you interested in people with dementia and want to help them to get the most out of life? Then we are looking for people like you who have the enthusiasm and passion to join our team. We provide person centred care to our clients and help to encourage independence as part of enabling them to make choices and live their own lives as much as they can and we encourage activity based care.
We will support you and train you, we are very proud of our comprehensive training programme.
Finally a little bit of information about the building itself its a purpose built 60 bed residential home which opened in August 2009 for adults with dementia. Its accommodation is over 3 floors with 2 small units of ten on each floor. Each of the 60 bedrooms has its own ensuite bathroom. We have over 100 staff working across the 3 floors to support the residents.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what's important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
To assist the manager and deputy manager in ensuring that the Administrative Policies and Procedures are effectively organised and followed by staff
Your duties will include:
- maintaining weekly electronic returns including bed vacancies
- responsibility for banking monies regularly in accordance with Portsmouth City Council procedures
- maintaining accurate accounting and budgetary control systems and produce reports for managers
- responsibility for income and payments of personal allowances and petty cash returns
- preparing reconciled accounts for managers e.g. Imprest, Amenity
- assisting with collation, maintain and develop filing systems
- assisting in ordering and stock control of equipment and maintain the homes stationary
- responsible for maintaining effective administrative systems
- ensuring security of monies, confidential files and information, controlled stationary and personal belongings entrusted for safe keeping
- maintaining an up to date inventory of equipment in accordance with Portsmouth City Council guidelines
- preparation of routine correspondence, forms, minutes etc using IT systems
- training staff in the use of IT systems (Oracle, Microsoft Office etc)
- observing your statutory duty to all Health & Safety rules and to take reasonable care to promote the health and safety of yourself and others
- acting in a way that supports and promotes Portsmouth City Councils equal Opportunities Policy, which aims to ensure everyone has equal treatment and equal access to employment and services
- contributing to Best value by working in an effective way, and to suggest and implement improved ways of working where ever possible
Who is the person?
You need to have:
- A relevant qualification in level 2 or 3 would be advantageous
- Previous experience of direct contact with members of the public and the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
- IT Skills to use Microsoft Office and knowledge of using NGFS and EBS would be an advantage
- Previous experience of a financial environment including the payment of invoices, petty cash claims and monitoring budgets/reconciliation
- Previous experience of ordering equipment and maintaining stock control
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs of older people with dementia and their carers
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of confidential working and equal opportunity’s issues and promote such practice
- Knowledge of Social Services Policies and CQC legislation
- Knowledge of budgetary control
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to organise own work and prioritise within deadlines
- Ability to work within a team or on their own.
- Ability to initiate improvements in administrative practices
- Excellent numeracy skills to process financial transactions
- Ability to relate previous experience to present task/situation
- Ability to input data accurately
- Promote and maintain a healthy and safe working environment
- Evaluate and develop own practice and be willing undertake necessary training
- Any other duties at the discretion of the unit manager