The Portsmouth School Library Service (SLS) helps primary, secondary and special schools develop and use high quality library collections to inspire reading and help learning. These collections are physical and virtual. In addition to the book loan service, advisory services and reader development activities are offered to all subscribing schools, including some secondary schools in West Sussex. Schools have a choice whether or not to subscribe to the service and SLS makes the majority of its income from these subscription payments. As a traded service of Portsmouth City Council, SLS operates as a business and customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance. This is a highly proactive and responsive service and we are looking for an energetic and dynamic person who will who will work alongside an Advisory Librarian, leading on our work in schools and managing a team of School Library Advisory Assistants.
What is the role?
To lead on the provision of a modern, high-quality School Library Service, we are looking for someone to take on a senior role in our team based in Paulsgrove.
You will be expected to:
- Deputise for the School Library Service manager in their absence.
- Undertake the daty-to-day management of the team of School Library Advisory Assistants.
- Take the lead in proactively engaging primary, secondary and special school staff at all levels to maximise the use of their library and the SLS.
- Maintain this contact to ensure that these schools obtain maximum benefit from the SLS, offering advisory support where necessary.
- Upload content to the SLS website and engage with social media accounts.
- Undertake regular statistical assessment visits and assisiting with written reports.
- Organise regular Network Meetings with school library staff.
- Organise training and development opportunities for school library staff.
- Lead on the preparation of service statements so they are delivered to schools at the start of the academic year.
- Take the lead in major reader development initiatives, including 'Meet the Author'; Portsmouth Book Awards and Portsmouth Literature Quizzes.
- Have oversight of stock purchase, ensuring items reflect the cultural diversity of the city at all times and meet the different needs of children and young people.
- Lead on work with local partners such as public library service colleagues; Schools Improvement Service; EMAS and the Virtual School.
- Represent the SLS at local, regional and national level, as appropriate, keeping up to date with shifting agendas around education.
- Liaise with the School Library Service Manager to inform service development and ensure that the service remains relevant to customers.
- Make purchases and receive payments in accordance with Portsmouth City Council financial regulations as required.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Be an engaging, resilient, confident individual, with good interpersonal communication, organisational, and networking skills, capable of representing, promoting and advocating for the best interests of the School Library Service and its customers.
- Enjoy working with children and young people.
- Hold a full driving licence and have use of a car.
- Have experience of working in a school and/or library.
- Have an awareness of the current school curriculum, especially regarding progress and attainment in literacy.
- Have an interest in and/or knowledge of children's books.
- Be able to demonstrate a high degree of empathy and have excellent customer care skills.
- Competent IT skills, some working knowledge of spreadsheets and social media.
- Have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Have the ability to organise and plan your work priorities.
- Work effectively as a member of a team, willing to support and work together to deliver a responsive and energetic service for schools.
- Have the ability and motivation to work supportively with both customers and colleagues.
- Be creative, enthusiastic and forward thinking in a rapidly changing working environment.