Legal Operations Manager (interim)
Fixed Term Contract- 18 months
Full time 37 hours
RG10 – 50-53
£54,878 - £58,973
Legal Services ensure that all Council services and councillors benefit from expert legal advice and representation. We also make sure the council’s decision-making process complies with the law and the Council’s constitution. Our Legal Service includes the Joint Legal Team, which provides a highly regarded shared legal service to the six Children’s Services departments in Berkshire.
About the role
Assisting the Assistant Director to lead the Legal Service Department’s legal function This is a key role to drive change projects that improve quality and performance, while providing highly effective management of the service in the challenging circumstances presented by an improvement phase. Legal Services has approx. 85 FTE and a budget of circa £7.5m pa
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Support the Assistant Director of Legal and Democratic Services to deliver a comprehensive restructure of the department and implement the change effectively.
- Contribute to the overall management function of the Legal Services Department.
- Provide information to existing clients at Assistant Director level and above.
- Support the Shared Service Governance Board to provide information and accountability to external clients and support good decision making.
- Manage improvement projects in the Legal Services Dept.
- Lead the delivery of improvements to the Iken case management system.
- Oversee the transformation and strengthening of the culture, ensuring that our 'Team Reading' values and approach are lived and embedded.
- Forming strong relationships with senior managers across Berkshire.
- Develop new policies to support the Legal Operations function.
- Contribute to the development of the annual service plan and budget in support of corporate objectives.
The following experience is required for this role:
- Appropriate financial, legal or management qualifications
- Delivering legal or other professional services at management level.
- Developing and delivering strategies that support organisational ambitions and priorities.
- Managing a range of legal or professional services within an organisation of comparable scope and complexity.
- A successful track record of working with partners to negotiate, agree and influence outcomes to help further corporate objectives.
- Significant experience as an efficient and effective people manager, leading, motivating, managing and developing a professional function and teams to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience of successfully managing budgets of a comparable scope and scale.
- A successful record of delivering high quality professional and customer-focussed services.
- Supporting Boards with appropriate management information and reports
- Project management and change methodologies.
- of case management systems for improvements in quality, cost and timeliness of service delivery.
- Awareness and understanding of local government operations and how Council services interface with Legal Services.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 31st October
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.