Barnsley Council prioritises Children Services and wants every child in the borough to achieve their full potential, to be safe and happy. We value highly the work of our Social Workers and the Council have approved additional investment in our Social Workers, creating more posts, to support Social Worker in the valuable work that they do.
We are deeply committed to achieving the very best outcomes for vulnerable children and young people residing in the borough. Children and their families are at the centre of all that we do and our practice is underpinned by a strength based and relational model. This means supporting our social workers to develop relationships and to really know and understand children; to have the support to produce excellent assessment and analytical skills; apply evidence-based interventions and direct work and develop the confidence and skills to make timely decisions and plans for children that will achieve positive and sustainable outcomes for their future.
We are an Ofsted rated ‘Good’ authority and remain highly aspirational to deliver ‘even better’ services and outcomes for children, young people and their families in the borough.
We have not used a single Agency Social Worker for over 4 years and have a stable and permanent workforce ensuring consistency for children, alongside supporting our Social Workers to flourish. You will receive regular supervision, appraisal, training and development opportunities, aimed at promoting positive outcomes for children and supporting your career development and progression.
In Barnsley, we live and work by four important values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service, and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team, you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. We prioritise continuous learning and have created a development and progression pathway that supports your development.
Here’s what children and families in Barnsley say about us:
‘my social worker always listens and tires to solve my problems. She is kind to me and every time she says that she was going to do something, she actually did it’. – from a child
‘To be honest she listened to and did not judge, and she supported me’. – from a child
'I feel supported by my social worker in the issues in my family…things have got better from her working with me and my family' – from a child
‘She has always kept me informed, always contactable and felt she treated me as a normal personal and basically my experience has been a great experience she gave me the support I needed and advice, she was always there for me’. – from a father
Here’s what our staff say about us in our most recent Social Work Health Check:
- 98.8% of respondents feel that Barnsley is a good place to work
- 97.6% agree that the organisation is a learning organisation with a positive learning
- 100% of respondents report that they have easy access to discuss urgent, or
- complex issues with a manager outside of supervision and managers meetings
- 100% of our children’s social workers are employed on a fixed term or permanent contact and 57.8% having work in Barnsley for over 3 years.
Why it’s great to work in Barnsley:
- A highly competitive social work salary up to £41,881 for experienced practitioners
- High quality regular supervision and support and a nurturing management team that supports and encourages learning and development
- Flexible working through our digital working agenda and flexi scheme
- A commitment to continuous professional development with a strong training and development offer for staff at all levels
- An ASYE programme designed to support newly qualified practitioner to have additional support through their first year in practice
- Relocation package
- Good IT support and equipment
- A commitment to health and wellbeing and access to dedicated assistance programme
- Just 4 You Benefits https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/jobs/just4you/
We are looking to recruit highly motivated, enthusiastic and committed professional Social Workers at all levels to join our stable workforce.
- A degree or diploma in Social Work and Social Work England registration
- The ability to build relationships and work in partnership with children, young people, parents, carers and partners
- Curiosity in practice, and a tenacious desire to achieve the very best outcomes for children and their families
- Excellent interpersonal skills to engage and enable children, young people and their families
For more details about our Social Worker roles, please email - Keeleyboud@barnsley.gov.uk.
We will also be hosting a virtual drop-in session with the Executive Director for Children’s Social Care, Mel John-Ross, along with other representatives from the service. This event will take place on the 8th September at 5pm to 6.30pm. If you would like to join this event, please use the following link on the date and time specified: Click here to join the meeting
Come join us in Barnsley, the place of possibilities.
Apply at: www.barnsley.gov.uk/jobs
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided. Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.