School Governance Officer (part time: 21 hours per week)
The vision of the Diocese of Chichester is to help people within the Diocese to know, love and follow Jesus. Based at the Diocesan Office at Church House, Hove, we serve the people of the Diocese across more than 360 parishes, more than 150 church schools and the wider community as a whole.
We wish to appoint a skilled School Governance Officer who will be responsible for providing support and advice around school governance and issues related to compliance in all Church of England Schools across the Diocese.
About the role
It is a challenging but interesting role - no two days are the same. Your key duties will include:
- advising school governing bodies and headteachers
- managing the Foundation Governor recruitment and appointment process
- in partnership with Local Authorities, supporting governors in handling complaints and disciplinary issues in accordance with current legislation and policies
- working with the Senior Leadership team to address leadership and management issues in schools with the purpose of raising standards and improving outcomes for children
- developing, implementing, and delivering a programme of training and support for church school governors
The successful candidate will need a wide range of skills including:
- the capacity to own an up-to-date knowledge of current Government policy regarding school governance and school admissions in Church of England schools
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to establish effective working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, including governors, headteachers and local government officers
- the ability be an outward facing ambassador for the diocese in delivering high quality training to Governors and Headteachers
The post holder is required to support the ethos, aims and objectives of the Diocese and the Church of England and will be subject to enhanced DBS disclosure.
The role is based in Hove, and we offer additional benefits such as free parking, a range of staff development activities and the Diocesan Pension Scheme with 15.1% employer contribution.
We are flexible in regard to how and when the hours are spread within the working week. The opportunity to take on additional hours and the responsibility for School Admissions advice is also available to the right person.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Trevor Cristin, Director of Education at the Diocese of Chichester. Telephone 01273 425 687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Applications must be received by midnight on Wednesday 6th October 2021. Interviews will be held on 15th October 2021.
Applications should be made via Pathways https://pathways.churchofengland.org/job/pathways/2596/school-governance-officer
Brighton & Hove City Council is advertising on behalf of the school and is not the employer in this case.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.