Job Title: Finance Manager
Full Time Salary: £45,859 - £50,654
Closing Date: 22/08/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
The Professional finance team has recently undertaken a restructure to reflect the changing needs of the service. Having concluded our internal restructuring, we are now excited to launch recruitment for a number of key vacancies within the team. This is a fast-paced area and no day will be the same! We are looking for enthusiastic, inquisitive, and passionate people who will challenge services and processes to ensure good governance and value for money and you will be part of a dynamic, energised finance team who are integral to the wider council services. The finance team work in close collaboration with all services which allows us to get involved with lots of different projects. Every day is different and provides lots of opportunities to work with the services to deliver value for money and improve services to the residents of MK. We play a key role in supporting significant procurements, monitoring of large contracts, developing future budgets based on demand analysis and presenting robust business cases for change. You will have the opportunity to build relationships with colleagues across MKC as well as external colleagues from other local authorities, government departments and other external partners. We currently have 3 vacancies for Finance Managers to support various services across Adult Social Care, Environment & Property and Corporate Services.
- Manage, motivate and develop the staff within the team providing support to ensure that priorities are identified, objectives achieved and to enhance its overall level of performance and professional standards.
- Responsibility for all aspects of the Medium Term Financial Planning (MTFP) process for allocated services; commenting on and challenging business cases for pressures and savings, demand projections, technical lead for service specific funding streams and grants, sensitivity analysis and risk assessment and mitigation.
- Responsibility for reporting of the Council’s financial position for allocated services, challenging the team and service managers (of highly complex and volatile budgets) to ensure forecasts are accurate, overspends are mitigated and provide suggestions of actions required and potential cost reductions. Ensure the long-term impact of forecast changes on the budget are understood and captured in the MTFP and that savings targets are delivered. Ensure that the outturn position is closely monitored, and any variances are understood and explained.
- Responsibility for year end closedown of allocated services and liaison with external audit, ensuring accurate transactions in the accounts (including balance sheet entries and approval of accruals) and working papers are clear and accurate.
- Provide advice and guidance on projects within the Council, participating in programme and project boards, ensuring good project governance. Provide financial advice on procurement and contract related matters (tendering, contract extensions etc.).
- A member of the Finance Management Team, contributing to the overall effectiveness and operational management of the Finance Service, seeking continuous improvement within the service by developing processes and systems.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Qualified accountant (CCAB) with relevant post-qualification experience and evidence of ongoing CPD.
- Experience of managing and developing staff (including performance management). Ability to inspire and motivate a range of employees and generate a positive working environment.
- Experience of financial planning, control, and reporting in a complex organisation which should include some experience in working in a public sector organisation.
- Ability to apply innovative and creative thinking to complex service challenges and deliver high quality solutions within a highly pressurised environment.
- Be able to explain complicated and technical information in a manner that can be understood by others with different levels of knowledge on the subject, including senior stakeholders, using multiple tools; written (preparation of presentations and report writing including cabinet papers), spreadsheets (financial modelling) and deliver presentations.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Working as part of the wider finance team, this role is suitable to be considered for home working, with appropriate ICT equipment provided for the role.