Are you ready for a new and exciting challenge? Would you like to work as Crown Counsel (Civil Litigation and Safeguarding) in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
The Attorney General of the Falkland Islands and of the Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands seeks a Crown Counsel to join the Government Legal Services team based in the Falklands. You will take the lead in the conduct of all civil litigation and safeguarding work for the Government.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and proactive individual. Essential is a good understanding of civil litigation procedure and also the law and practice for the safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children. Knowledge of criminal, employment and/or education law would be an advantage. You will represent Government as an advocate in civil proceedings before the Falkland Islands Courts (whether the Government is acting as claimant or defendant), and bring safeguarding proceedings on behalf of the Crown as necessary or appropriate. You will also work closely with all departments across Government and represent the Government in committees (notably the Safeguarding Boards for Children and Vulnerable Adults), other meetings and functions as a Crown Counsel. This role is at the centre of Government and you will help shape future policy.
- Educated to Degree standard (or equivalent).
- Admitted as a solicitor or called as a barrister in the UK, another Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.
- At least three years post-qualification experience as a solicitor or barrister and a minimum of two years’ experience in civil litigation and safeguarding work.
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation and precedent.
- Ability to establish credibility and earn the respect of others (including other professionals, Members of the Legislative Assembly and the general public) through depth of knowledge.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and decision-making skills, and attention to detail.
- Initial 2-4 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Starting Salary £42-47k; (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £57K.
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days’ Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days’ leave).
- Relocation Allowance to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependants, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you get settled in.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply online, please visit www.jobs.gov.fk
Closing date for applications is 23.00 UK time on 22 August 2021.
If you have any questions about working for the Falkland Islands Government or would like further information about the role or application process, you can find contact details at the above link.
The Working Environment
Law and Regulation Directorate
The Directorate provides a number of services, led by separate service heads who each reports to the Attorney General. These services are crucial to the achievement of the Government’s ambitions.
- Legal Services provides general legal advice and support to the Governments of the Falkland Islands and also of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. We direct and conduct public prosecutions and act for Government in all legal proceedings and transactions. We also support the development and delivery of Government initiatives and projects by providing sound legal advice.
- The Registry maintains registers for property, births, marriages and deaths, local companies and charities. In addition to providing registry services, it provides a vital service to the community by ensuring elections are fair and the will of the people is freely expressed.
- The Regulatory team protects the people of the Falkland Islands by regulating Civil Aviation and Telecommunications.
- The Statute Law Commissioner and Head of Legislation heads the legislative drafting function which supports Government by turning policy into legislation. The Commissioner also manages the online publication of Falkland Islands laws, and reviews, reforms and updates local legislation.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities across a broad spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government (eg, taxation, legislation and policy) as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health, social services and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, approximately 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.