About The Job
Salary: £20,092 - £20,493 per annum, pro-rata £10,046 - £10,246
Working Pattern: 18.5 hours per week (part-time)
Location: Cissbury Lodge, Worthing
Interview Date: TBC (interviews will take place via MS Teams, Skype or equivalent)
As a Cook for our Residential Home, you will prepare and cook nutritionally balanced meals for the children. You will have the opportunity to design menus with the Assistant Manager and provide training to children in how to plan and cook meals.
You will also be responsible for:
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene procedures
- Monitoring risk
- Ensure the kitchen is maintained to a high standard
- Ordering goods within a specified budget
- Keeping accurate records and stock control
- Coordinate agency Cooks and Kitchen Assistants if required
We are looking for someone who is aware of safeguarding procedures, as you will need to remain up to date with compliance, legislation, polices, procedures, and professional codes of conduct.
A shift pattern will be agreed with the successful applicant.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to communicate in English with the children, staff and visitors to the Homes, to understand and be sensitive to the needs of the children and to adapt to unexpected changes in requirements.
- Ability to prepare food of a varied nature to a high standard.
- Ability to use IT to write emails, access information about the home, complete electronic logs etc.
- Ability to follow defined instructions in particular to understand and apply Health and Safety and safeguarding regulations and procedures.
- Ability to organise/prioritise work, co-ordinate a variety of tasks in a clear and logical way and meet agreed deadlines.
- Ability to work flexibly to allocated duties and as part of a team within the home to put the child first.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Knowledge of effective cooking techniques and healthy, nutritious recipes, including cooking for a range of dietary requirements.
- Cooking experience, including preparing, cooking, and serving meals for groups of people.
- Knowledge of ordering, costing, and stock control.
- Recognised Food Handling and Hygiene qualification, Basic Food Hygiene certificate
- 3 GCSEs with A-C (5-9) passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- NVQ Level 2 in catering or equivalent qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience. Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
We know that without you we would not be able to provide our services and we strive to ensure that you are rewarded and recognised for the dedication and commitment you make in this role.
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance, and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Access to a generous, defined benefit pension scheme
- You will receive weekend working and sleep-in allowances if you work weekends or night shifts.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
How to Apply
To apply, upload your CV and cover letter explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, 5 years referencing and an occupational health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing team reference only: NG